XXVI

An incessant beeping broke its way into my sleep. I wanted to roll over and turn the stupid alarm off, not ready to go to class yet. My body wouldn't obey me. I started panicking, wanting to open my eyes but not exactly able to.

"Dad," I tried to say, but nothing would come out. Words wouldn't form.

"Clover, if you're trying to wake up, you can sleep longer. It'll be okay. You're safe."

I didn't know who was talking or where it was coming from, but I felt better. Safer. I gave in to the darkness.

---------------------------

My eyes opened before I fully woke up. The room was out of focus and I waited for my eyes to be able to focus on something. Brilliant sunlight was streaming into the room, making the place look bright and comfortable. Wires were hooked up all over my body and I lifted my arm to see an IV needle in my hand.

"Clover?"

I looked up to see my dad enter the room.

"Oh my God, you're okay."

He dropped a tray of food on the bedside table and wrapped me up in a hug. I relaxed and rested my head on his shoulder.

"I was so worried about you. You were missing for three days."

"Dad, what happened?"

"You guys disappeared after the fireworks. I figured you'd went to one of their houses so I didn't worry until the next night when you hadn't come home. I'd called all of your friend's parents and found out that everyone else was missing too. I called the police and they'd just been out to find Ryder's truck in the ditch. I feared you'd been hurt but they were just interested on potential killers on the loose."

"How did you find us?"

"When you guys escaped, everyone went to a nearby house and called the police and fire department. They led them right to you guys and they found you and Ryder nearly dead in a clearing. You're lucky the fire didn't completely surround you guys."

"Dad, it was Alice the whole time. She told this story of how she's hated me since she got into the high school. I was nothing back then, dad. Nothing. And she still hated me enough to kill my friends and try and frame it on me."

"We know, doll. She's in police custody as we speak. All you need to do is focus on getting better."

"Where is everyone else? Are they okay?"

"Everyone is okay. Ryder is in his own room now, he inhaled a lot of smoke and suffered a flesh wound from a bullet. It's you I'm worried about, doll."

"I feel fine."

"Clover, you were shot. Twice. In the stomach."

"I jumped in front of the bullet, dad. To keep Ryder safe."

"Why would you do that!? Why would you sacrifice yourself?"

"Because I love him, dad. I love them. My life didn't matter when all of theirs were in danger."

"Your life will always matter, Clover. Don't ever think it doesn't."

"I did what I had to, dad. They would've done the same."

"But they didn't," he sighed.

"Because I did, dad. If they would've had the chance, they would've done the same."

"This nightmare is finally over. That's all I care about."

I left the hospital four days later. Ryder had been discharged before me and was already on his way home. I hadn't seen him once at the suggestion from the doctors. The only people I saw were my dad and brother. My dad helped me into the house while Kai grabbed our bags. Any bit of movement took all the energy I had so when I collapsed on the couch, that was where I stayed for a few days. I'd gotten texts from all of my friends saying they'd be over as soon as they could. Their parents were holding them closely, rightfully so.

It was nearing a week that I'd been out of the hospital when they were all able to come over. I lay on the couch like I had for the past week when they showed up. My dad brought them in the living room and left us alone.

"You look like shit," Emily half heartedly joked.

"How are you guys doing?" I grunted as I shifted myself into a sitting position.

"We're worried about you, Clover. You're the one that took two bullets to the stomach," Griffin said.

"Ryder took a bullet too."

"A flesh wound that's almost healed," Ryder said. "Are you sure you're going to be okay, Clove?"

"I'm going to be fine. Just a lot of pain right now. Otherwise I'll heal perfectly."

"They have Alice in custody. She's refusing to say a word and has lawyered up. There'll be a trial," Callum said, sighing and sitting down heavily on the couch.

"And we're going to testify, right?"

"If you're healthy enough by that time, yes. Anything helps."

"This is crazy, guys. Did we really just survive that?"

"None of us would've if it weren't for you," Emily said.

"What do we do now?"

Ryder shrugged. "Go back to life as normal."