XVII

The cell was cold. My bare legs pressed against the bed and I couldn't stop myself from shivering. I restlessly bounced my leg, waiting for whatever came next. A door opened and closed, sounding far off. Footsteps were coming toward me and I wanted to cry. No one would blame me, I think.

"Hi, Clover."

I looked up to see a tall woman who looked to be about my dad's age.

"I'm Cherise Delvin. You can call me Cherry."

"Hi," I said, looking back down at my feet.

"I'm the lawyer your dad called for you. He's in the waiting room, but we need to go over our options."

She flagged down a cop who took me out of my cell and handcuffed me again. I caught a glimpse of my dad in the waiting room before I was taken into the interrogation room I'd been in twice this summer. I dropped my hands on the table so the sound of the handcuffs would remind the cop that I was not pleased.

"We'll get right to it," Cherry said after the door closed. "They don't have much to be able to hold you. I've been reviewing the cases and you weren't even there for the second murder. They even confirmed your alibi through the alarm system at your house and your phone records. In all honesty, the only thing they have against you is Gavin's death, and the evidence is circumstantial at best. If anything, they should've arrested all of you."

"What evidence do they even have against me?"

"The boys' wallets were found in your possession."

The walls closed in on me. "Excuse me?"

"They received an anonymous tip that lead them to getting a warrant to search your house. They found both Gavin's and Houston's wallets in your backpack."

"How is that possible? I didn't do anything."

"I believe you, Clover. Not just because I get paid to. There is something not right going on here, and I'm going to get to the bottom of it."

"What do we do?"

"In the meantime, your father has posted your bail so you are free to go. Do not speak to anyone about anything going on here. I will warn you, there's a crowd outside that want you locked up. Reporters, townsfolk, everyone seems to be out on those steps. Just be careful and stick close to your dad."

"Thank you, Cherry."

She left the room and a cop took her place, unlocking the cuffs from my wrists. No one said anything to me as I left, but their accusatory stares were hard to ignore. My dad wrapped me up in his arms when I walked out, holding me tightly without saying a word. He kept his arm around my shoulders as we walked down the staircase and out into the stifling heat. Cherry was right, there was a large crowd of people standing on the stairs leading up to the courthouse. As soon as we stepped outside, they all started yelling. My dad pulled me closer to his side and pulled me down the side path around to the back of the courthouse. We ran to the car and got in just in time for everyone to crowd around.

As carefully and safely as he could, my dad backed out of the spot and slowly moved down the street, people still surrounding the car. Once we were free, we sped off on our way home.

"Dad, what the hell is happening?"

"Clover, don't say a word until we get home."

We pulled into the driveway alongside multiple cars. I was confused but didn't say a word until we walked inside. All of my friends and their families sat in the living room, talking quietly until they saw me.

"Are you okay, Clover?" Ryder asked.

"Yeah, I'm okay. What the hell was that?"

"How rude of them to arrest you during your grandfather's funeral," Griffin said.

"They had a job to do, and they did it," my dad said.

"My lawyer told me that they found Gavin and Houston's wallets among my possessions. I haven't seen what my room looks like, but I imagine it's ripped apart."

"How in the hell did their wallets get in your stuff? And since when were their wallets missing?" my aunt asked.

"I don't know. Cherry said they found them in my backpack, but I just looked in my backpack the day my dad and brother got home. I wasn't even at the party Houston was killed at. Someone had to have come in here and planted the evidence."

"And how do we know it isn't you?" Callum's mom asked.

"Mom," Callum warned.

"No, it's okay. I once had a slip of faith in a few of you. It's natural, just like I know all of you were questioning if I really could have done it when I was arrested."

One by one, they all stood and came to hug me. Eventually, everyone left until it was just my family and Ryder's.

"Let me know if you need anything. Call me whenever."

"Of course, thanks, Ry."

We watched as they left and my dad mumbled to me, "Do we think any of them did it?"

"I don't know, dad. They've all got their secrets and motives."

"Do you?"

"Of course not, dad."

"You're not mad that you got kicked out of college?"

I turned to him and the color left my face. "How did you know that?"

"Emily told me. Why didn't you just tell me, Clove?"

"I didn't want you to be even more disappointed in me."

"Doll, I'm not disappointed in you. This is beyond your control. It's not like you flunked out or anything."

"I'm not mad, dad. It's not like I can go back until they catch whoever this is. I was irritated, sure. I mean, I've done a lot for the community down there. But they have their image to uphold, so I get it."

"We'll put everything right, doll. I promise."

He kissed the top of my head and went inside.