V

I sat up in bed, gasping, sweat plastering my hair to my forehead. The image of Gavin slowly disappearing from my mind and behind my eyelids. I'd fallen asleep with my lamp on, hoping it would chase away the horrors in my mind. Now, it shed a warm glow across my room, the high, vaulted ceilings still blanketed in shadows, hiding the terrors of the night. I pressed back into my pillows and ran my hand over my face.

A tinkling sound at my window sent a shot of ice cold fear trickling down my spine. Slowly, I stood, surrounding myself in my blanket and slowly tiptoed to the window. A group of people stood on the lawn below, staring up at me. I sighed in relief and threw my window open.

"Hey, Rapunzel. Mind sneaking out?"

I smiled at Ryder. "Be down in a moment."

When I quietly closed the back door behind me, I turned to face what remained of our friend group.

"So why am I sneaking out of my house at this ungodly hour?"

"We know Gavin's vigil is tomorrow, but we wanted to do something of our own," Niko explained.

"Perfect. Where are we going?"

"Riverside."

We took the trail through the woods, leading almost right down to the park. Set up around the veterans memorial were a bunch of lanterns and some bottles of liquor. A fire was crackling, casting dancing shadows across everyone's faces.

"What happened to Gavin was indescribable. But we can't turn on each other. That psycho is still out there somewhere, looking for God knows what. We're here to fight," Callum said, looking around the fire at all of us. "Gavin wouldn't want us to cower, to hide like everyone else wants us to."

Griffin raised the bottle of liquor. "To Gavin and all he had left to contribute."

We passed the bottle around, taking a shot each, then lit the lanterns. Ryder's arm touched mine and he smiled at me. "You're not an outsider, Clover. You never were. We've always got your back no matter who thinks otherwise. Right guys?"

Emily rolled her eyes as everyone agreed. "I guess you aren't terrible, Clover."

"That's as good as it'll get," I said, smiling.

We released the lanterns, standing quietly to watch them float up and over the town, bringing Gavin's spirit with them.

"We're going to catch this guy. If it's the last thing we do," Houston mumbled.

----------------------

I woke to the birds singing and the sun shining. My room was stifling hot from leaving the window open all night. I breathed in the scent of campfire that clung to me and rolled out of bed to take a shower. When I went downstairs, my dad and brother sat at the table eating breakfast.

"Plenty left if you're hungry, doll," my dad said, his eyes not leaving the mail he was reading.

"What's that?" I asked, pulling down a plate from the cupboard.

"Work stuff."

"How is work going? The business?"

"Everything's well, doll. No need to worry."

I put my plate at the table and sat down. "Is there a reason to worry?"

He finally looked up at me and took his glasses off. "Not at all."

We finished breakfast and I did the dishes, washing while my brother dried.

"It's too bad you won't be able to come to my graduation."

"You're still having a party, no?"

"Well, yeah."

"I'll be here for that. Wouldn't miss my loser brother actually accomplishing something."

He didn't laugh at the joke like I thought he would.

"Hey, what's wrong, Kai?"

"Do you think one of your friends did it?"

I tilted my head. "No. I actually don't. Why? Do you?"

He shook his head. "No. I was just curious."

"You don't think I did it, do you?"

"What? You? You're still worried that someone will creep into your room at night. You sleep with a nightlight, Clover."

I scoffed. "Shut up and keep drying."

Gavin's memorial was later that afternoon. They'd be burying him later in the week. I dressed in my best black dress, looking in the mirror as I smoothed down the wrinkles. I put on some heels and went downstairs to wait for my family. We drove in silence, pulling up to the church to a packed parking lot. His family stood at the front, tears filling their eyes and silent accusations sent our way. The group of us met at the back, immediately clinging together with the glue that is grief. We sat in the third pew from the front, listening to the preacher and Gavin's family speak about him.

When Gavin's mother walked to the front, the church became even quieter. Everyone stopped fanning themselves with their funeral programs, giving their full attention to the grieving mother. She stood at the front, her dress rumpled, her hair unbrushed. Tears flowed freely down her face and I found I had to look away.

"My son was a staple in this community. He volunteered, tutored his younger siblings and attended church every Sunday. His life was taken from him in such a gruesome way. He was so young and still had so much to accomplish."

Houston shifted uneasily next to me, sweat dripping down his neck. He could feel everyone's eyes on us.

"To say this has torn our family apart is an understatement. We want his killer found, brought to justice and to meet the same fate. We pray for his or her untimely, painfully slow death. We are offering a reward of $10,000 to anyone who leads to the arrest of this horrible, sinful person."

Murmurs rippled through the crowd and I chanced a look over my shoulder. No one's eyes were on us anymore, they were all staring at Mrs. Adair, marveling at her crassness. When I turned back, her eyes bore into me, seeing completely through me.

"I believe Gavin's killer is in attendance today."

Well, so much for everyone's eyes being off of us. The preacher quickly took over again, deflecting everyone by announcing refreshments would be served in the basement immediately. Mrs. Adair glared at us as she passed, only breaking eye contact when her husband squeezed her shoulder.