VIII

I stood in my brother's room, watching him try and fail to tie his tie. I moved from the doorway and slapped his hands away to tie it for him. When I finished, I pulled his collar down and wiped off a piece of dryer lint from his shoulder.

"I'm really sorry I won't be able to see you walk across the stage today."

"It's okay, I go to school in a different district. It isn't your fault you're contained to the county."

"I know, I still feel bad about it."

"You'll still be at the party, right?"

"Of course."

"Then that's all that matters. I don't even want to go to the ceremony anyway."

"It is kind of a bunch of crap. They could easily just give you your diploma and send you on your way."

"Don't worry, dad will take a lot of pictures. You won't be alone, most of the family is staying behind to set up the party anyway."

"True. Someone's gotta keep them in line, huh?"

He laughed. "Exactly."

I dressed in a red, skater style dress and my favorite pair of silver Valentino platform heels that were a birthday gift from my dad. We said our goodbyes in the front yard, making sure to take some pictures together with my brother in his cap and gown. I straightened his tassel before they got in the car to leave. I waved as they turned the corner and left me in the dust. Instead of going to the backyard to help set up, I went back inside and sat at my desk, reading and rereading for the thousandth time a letter I'd gotten in the mail the day before.

I was supposed to start my online classes the following Tuesday, but according to the letter, I was no longer a student at the University of Miami. Turns out, Gavin's murder is national news, with mine and my friends faces splashed across every newspaper, website and national broadcasts. Not to mention, the police called the university to ask after my character while attending the school. Despite being a straight A student, being part of multiple extra curriculars and community events, they thought having a student who's tangled up in a murder investigation is an image they don't want for their prestigious school.

I shoved my hair out of my face and crumpled the paper, throwing it towards my waste basket and missing completely. It rolled under my bed. I moved my computer mouse and woke my computer, going to the search bar and searching my name. What had once been glowing articles about my involvement in the Miami community, was now overshadowed by thousands of websites bashing me and my friends and our possible hand in Gavin's murder.

"Clover?"

I quickly shut down the google page I was looking at and swiveled around in my chair to see Emily in my doorway.

"Oh, hey, Emily. What's up?"

"My mom was wondering if you could find a bigger serving spoon for the potato salad."

"Oh, sure. I'll be right down. Let me finish getting ready and I'll be out."

"What were you doing?"

"Some homework. I'm doing online classes this summer. I promised my dad I'd stay home this summer."

She nodded, but her eyes slid to my empty computer, the picture of all eight of us at the last fair we'd been to as a group on the background.

"Really, I'll be right down."

"All right. Could you also find some more ice for the drinks?"

"Of course."

She left my room with one last glance over her shoulder and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in. The whole exchange left a sour taste in my mouth for some reason. How long had she been watching me? I shook off the bad feeling and finished getting ready, then brought the items needed outside.

Our backyard was totally transformed. My dad had cleaned up all of his projects he'd been working on in the garage. He'd mowed the lawn, weeded the garden and even washed all of our cars the day before. He'd been busy. A large dance floor was erected in the middle of the backyard, with lights and lanterns surrounding all of the picnic tables as well. I helped set up the food table, keeping everything covered until everyone would show up. I was everyone's mule, running to and from the house getting things for people, seriously regretting my decision to wear heels.

A lot of people showed up before my dad and brother got back, but I spent my time blowing up balloons to place as a center piece on all of the tables. A banner brandishing his name and year hung over the food table and when I finally finished with everything, I stood back to admire my work. My dad and brother returned, my brother's tassel on the other side of his cap, and his diploma in hand. Everyone clapped for him and I gave him a hug, grabbing his cap and diploma from him to place on the gift table.

The sun was close to setting when my group of friends showed up. I sat at a table off to the side and watched as Ryder's nice truck pulled up next to my car in the driveway. Everyone else had parked on the street, but he knew they were special enough to get a spot in the driveway. They walked in, dressed very nicely, and found my brother to give him pats on the back and congratulate him. Ryder leaned closer to him and said something I couldn't hear, but when my brother pointed in my direction I knew they were asking where I was.

"Wow, you look completely different," Ryder said when I walked up to them.

I smiled. "Good or bad?"

He shook his head. "This is how you rock Florida, I see."

I lifted my foot slightly. "The heels were a bad choice. My family had me running everywhere to get them things and to help set up."

"Even with heels you're still shorter than the rest of us."

I shook my head. "Shut up, Adams."

We turned as my dad stepped to the middle of the dance floor and held up a drink. "In keeping up with traditions, we dedicate our drinks to my last child and his achievements and all he may do in the future."

I clapped along with everyone else and smiled at my brother.

"One last tradition to uphold: shots!"

My uncles moved around the crowd with plates full of shot glasses, handing one out to anyone that wanted. I turned to my group and we formed our own little circle, knowing without saying that we were toasting to Gavin as well. Just as Ryder had said, he would've enjoyed a Solace party just as much as the rest of us. I downed my shot and met Ryder's eyes. He winked and grabbed my hand to give it a squeeze.