XXVIII

The University of Miami sent me a letter, apologizing for everything and asking me back to school. But I needed to take a beat. I spent that fall in therapy. Ryder and Griffin came with me for my first few sessions, then I felt stable enough to attend by myself. I was ready to go back to school for the spring semester and my dad helped me move back to Florida. It was hard leaving my friends, and my new boyfriend, but they would all be coming down for spring break. It was difficult getting back into the swing of normal life, not to mention everyone knew what had happened. I got stares and awkward sympathy the whole first two months I was back.

Random people would come up to me and ask to see my scars, but I was so grateful for my roommate. She would get sassy and tell them to shove their crap where the sun don't shine.

"I know you don't like when people bring it up, but seriously, how are you?"

"I'm okay, Gem. Truly. I got the help I needed."

"Okay, next order of business. Set me up with one of your friends."

I snorted. "I'll introduce you and we'll go from there."

Spring break was coming up quickly. Most of us stayed on campus, because spring break was all around Miami. The first day, Gem and I got in our swimsuits and spent the day at the beach. I was a little self conscious of having my wounds on display, but Gem convinced me and once I had a couple drinks in my system, the stares didn't matter much.

The next day I had to go to the airport around noon to pick everyone up. Gem decided to stay back at the dorm to tidy up for our visitors so I went alone. I pulled up to the exit doors in a convertible I rented just for the occasion. My dad and brother had their own car set up, so I'd have all of my friends with me. I jumped out of the car without even opening the door, feeling happier than I had in nearly a year. I walked into the sweetly air conditioned airport and slid my sunglasses up into my hair.

The baggage carousel whirred to life and slowly started moving bags out to the first few people that had gotten off the plane. I saw my dad and brother's bags and grabbed them to wait for them.

"Clover!"

My brother stood at the top of the stairs, looking down at me and waving. I smiled and waved back. Then everyone else walked up behind him, searching below for me. Ryder looked amazing and a smile broke out on his face as soon as our eyes met. The group of them ran down and Ryder was the first to make it to me. He picked me up and spun me around, squeezing me to his body. Then everyone else was there and we fell into a large group hug.

"Hey, doll. How's school going?" my dad asked once we'd all untangled from each other.

"Really good. I'll bring you guys back to my dorm room once you drop all of your things off at the hotel."

"If they want to grab their bags, I can take everything to the hotel," my dad offered.

My friends found their bags and then helped my dad put them in the car he rented and then we piled into mine.

"I'll drive you around to see a few places before going back to my dorm."

We drove through the city, the sun warming our faces, the wind in our hair. We joked around as I showed them the town for a bit, then we went back to campus.

"God, I love palm trees and the sun," Emily said as we drove slowly through campus.

We pulled up in front of my dorm hall and parked in the spot I paid to reserve but rarely used. We waited in the parking lot for my dad and Kai then went inside once they parked. I brought them all the way to the top floor, unlocked my door and walked in to find Gem on her bed, watching a movie.

"Hey, Gem, this is everyone."

She shut her laptop and introduced herself to everyone.

"Your room is so cute," Emily gushed, looking through all of our pictures and decorations on the walls.

"It was pretty lucky. I was one semester behind Clover so now that she took a little break, we'll be graduating together!" Gem said.

We decided to spend the rest of the day at the beach. Ryder and I ended up on a beach towel, taking a break while everyone continued swimming. He gently, absentmindedly, traced my scars with his finger tip, sending shivers down my spine.

"Miami looks good on you, love."

"Thank you, Ry. How are things going at home?"

"Everyone's picking up the pieces, doing the best we can. But we all miss you. They found the rest of Alice's friends. The ones that beat you up."

I sighed. "That's a huge relief. Where were they for seven months?"

"One of the girls' family had a cabin close to the border, deep in the woods. They were living there until they ran out of food."

"Jesus."

"I'm just happy most of us are still here."

"I'm happy everyone I love is here with me."

He smiled and pulled me up, running with me towards the water and our friends.