Chapter Seven

Cale wiped the sweat away from his face then tossed the towel aside as he entered the room. He had exerted more energy than usual during his morning workout. He quickly realized the room was empty and was glad he had decided to leave the note for Madison in case she left before he got back.

He frowned when he found what he assumed was meant to be the beginning of a response to him.

Cale,

Nothing more. Did she really have nothing to say or did she not know what to say?

He worried that he might have screwed up his one chance with Madison. It was the first time he had been less than accommodating to the request of a beautiful woman.

Shit.

He cursed himself. She had practically begged him to take her. Hadn't he always dreamed of that moment? But he wanted more. He wanted her sober so she would remember every second of their intimate connection. He wanted to make love to her. He wanted to take his time touching every inch of her body while stealing her heart.

Cale rushed through showering and dressing when he realized what time it was. His parents were expecting him for lunch.

# # #

"Mom? Dad?" Cale walked through the living room of the modest ranch home his parents had refused to leave. They had accepted his contribution for upgrades and some remodeling, but were adamant they would not leave the home he had grown up in.

He smiled at the sound of his mother's always-cheerful voice. "We're in the kitchen, son."

She met him with a huge smile and hug before he made it. His father was close behind.

He was lucky. He had two wonderful parents that had done nothing but support him his entire life. They were not the over-the-top, Leave It To Beaver bunch, but he would never be able to blame any of the stupid choices he had made over the years on his childhood.

"We have missed you so much, sweetheart. A week is not long enough." Mary Roberts framed her son's face with her hands. She stared at him as if she were searching for any signs he had changed since the last time they had seen one another.

His mother reluctantly stepped aside so his father could grab him in a bear hug.

"Jake, you'll squeeze the life out of him. Let him go so we can catch up over lunch."

The dining room table held the makings of a Thanksgiving feast. "Mom, you didn't have to do all of this."

She waved him off as she placed her napkin in her lap. "I figured you would be hungry after being on the road so long."

Cale laughed. "I do eat."

"Not like this," she answered with a raised brow.

He couldn't argue with her. His mom's cooking could rival the best chefs in the world.

"How was the concert last night?" Cale's father asked. They had only been to two since he started touring. His parents much preferred the private shows he gave them at home. Neither had ever really cared for big crowds, and even the small venues they had played held more than they preferred.

Cale finished chewing before answering. Even a famous rock star was expected to use manners at Mary Roberts' table. "It was good. I got to see Maddie."

His mother's smile grew wider. "Oh, wonderful. I am so glad she was able to make it. Catherine had told me she was hoping to, but wasn't sure she would be able to."

Madison's parents, Roger and Catherine Jones, were still his parents' neighbors.

"Yeah, she and her friend, Casey, came. It was really good to see her again."

Jake nodded. "That girl is one hard worker. She's a machine, I tell you. You really ought to go by her shop while you're home. I've been telling her she needs to get more help."

Mary nodded her agreement before changing the subject. "Listen," she said, patting her son's hand, "we're having the neighborhood barbeque Friday night; your father and I are hoping you will still be home so you can come."

Cale grinned. He had always loved the neighborhood get-togethers. More often than not, he and Madison had found themselves together in the tree house, watching fireworks, listening to music, or just hiding from everyone else.

"Sounds good. I'm not planning to leave until Sunday."

The remainder of the lunch conversation was filled with topics such as his cousin Tim's upcoming wedding and the Rangers' schedule this season.

# # #

Cale raised his Ray Ban sunglasses-covered eyes to view the swirling sign hanging above the arched door of the brick-faced building that housed Madison's vintage store, Yesterday's Gone. He smiled, thinking of lyrics to go with the store name.

He dodged two giddy high-school-aged girls who were so busy gushing over their awesome finds they didn't seem to notice he was even standing there, much less who he was. That was fine by him.

Cale glanced up at the bell above the door that had rung when he entered. He scanned the room, taking in the racks of clothes, shelves of books and records, toy bins, and furniture. The store was packed with antique items, but it was organized perfectly. He was skimming the titles of the records when he saw Madison coming from the back of the store carrying a stack of books higher than her head.

He moved to offer his assistance, but managed to startle her instead. He was only able to catch one book as the stack tumbled from her hands.

"Sorry."

Madison was struggling to catch her breath. She held her racing heart with her right hand.

"I was going to take some of the load off of you," he offered by way of explanation.

Madison bent to retrieve the books from the floor as she responded. "It's okay. I've been a little jumpy all day."

Cale squatted across from her and gathered the books she was unable to get. He set them on the counter next to her discarded pile.

"Any reason?"

Madison stared at him blankly.

"For what?" she asked, worried he knew exactly why.

Cale chuckled. "Being jumpy all day?"

Madison blushed. "Oh, I honestly don't know." Her words were not very convincing.

Cale leaned back against the tall, wooden counter. "Man, this place is really cool, Maddie. You did it."

He could only describe the feeling he had as pride. Cale was proud of and for Madison. While he had talked of dreams of becoming a rock legend, Madison had always hoped to own her own store one day. She wanted to be her own boss. And she had accomplished that with much success it appeared.

Her smile was genuine. She was so stunning, it literally took his breath away. Cale instantly felt like he was back in high school and was smitten all over again.

"Thank you. I'm proud of it. Are you looking for something in particular?"

"Actually, I am. I was hoping I might convince an old friend to have dinner with me tonight."

He felt himself inwardly cringe when she paused. Cale was thinking of his next line to convince her when she smiled again.

"Sure, but the store doesn't close until seven tonight, and then I have to run the register and clean up."

"Not an issue. I'm used to eating late. Anywhere good in town?"

Madison thought for a second then shook her head. "How about pizza at my place? Casey will be at her parents' tonight, so you won't have to worry about her drooling all over you."

"That works. I'll grab the pizza and meet you at your apartment around eight?"

"Okay." The bell rang, alerting them of a new customer before she could say more. Cale winked at her before sliding his sunglasses back into place.

"I'll see you tonight, Maddie."