6. Fresh Start

"My name is Edward Cullen."

Wide eyed, Bella stared back at him, nearly hypnotized by his beauty. Edward was too perfect; his perfection was nearly blinding. It was easy for Bella to let her former apprehension about him slip away, as though the recollection of his hostility had been but a false memory. And this very interaction was so familiar to her. "I know."

Edward smiled, tilting his head to the side in an attempt to explain himself. "Right. I just thought it might help if we began with introductions."

For a moment, Bella found herself dazzled by the golden sparkle in his eyes. The yellowish amber of his irises seemed to be looking into her very soul, and she found herself without words to speak.

"And you're Bella," he added, picking up that irresistible quickening of her heartbeat that pounded within her body.

Edward set the pencil down in front of her, and Bella shook her head as if to clear it from the confusion.

"Hey, did you get contacts?" she asked, blinking as her brain worked in time with her tongue to form coherent speech. "The last time I saw you here, your eyes were almost black."

Mr. Banner, who had been giving his lecture, stopped at their table, and set a quieting hand on Bella's textbook. He arched an authoritative brow at the two in warning.

They did not speak during class after that, but their eyes had had the tendency to drift back toward one another for the rest of the hour. And each time, Bella felt that annoying rush of blood fill her face. And each time the adorable blush colored her ivory skin, Edward found his own body radiating from her warmth. He so desperately wanted to hold her hand, to tell her in a whisper how much he loved her and missed her. His soul longed for any opportunity to impart the tiniest display of affection. But, it could not be so. Not until she knew him once again.

The Cullen clan immediately noticed the change in Edward. He was smiling, and as his fingers slid along the keyboard of the piano, his heart felt alive once again. Immersing himself in the lullaby he had created for Bella, Edward ignored the three sets of quiet footsteps that entered the room behind him. They said nothing as he played and when his fingers commanded the last note, enthusiastic applause rang out from behind him.

Esme crossed to the piano bench and set her arm around her eldest son's shoulder. "I'm so glad that you had a good day, Edward." Finally. His misery had affected them all, and Esme herself felt ill from his suffering.

"We all are," Carlisle confirmed with a smile, coming to stand beside his wife.

"And you, Alice?" Edward asked knowingly, already having read her thoughts. His lips formed a smirk. "I see you're having your visions again."

Alice, who was grinning from ear to ear, danced around the room. She hummed to herself, flitting about the wood floor like a graceful sprite.

Edward smiled. "She does look beautiful," he agreed.

Esme turned to Alice, hoping to be filled in very quickly by Edward and Alice's silent interaction. "What vision, Alice?" she asked curiously.

"Oh, nothing," the clairvoyant replied with a sneaky smile. "Just Edward looking very dashing wearing a black suit. And Bella, she is gorgeous wearing my blue dress." Alice continued to pirouette around the room, her tiny feet touching the floor so lightly that they did not make a sound.

"Really?" Carlisle asked, surprised. "What's the occasion?"

Alice gave a dreamy sigh. "Prom."

Edward stood up from the piano bench and faced his adoptive parents. "I'm sorry. I just don't see it. Bella doesn't like to dance. She won't go," he explained.