CHAPTER 9

A couple of days had passed since Roshnak Baanar arrived at the ice maiden's castle, located in the dead center of Tyrsh. A couple of very interesting, but also quite hard days, which put the young orc under numerous trials. And as he found out whence the threat is coming from, Roshnak felt especially motivated, to do everything she asked from him. First and foremost, Ch'ybal had to teach him the language of the stars, otherwise the orc wouldn't even be able to understand the magic, let alone try and control it. Luckily, the ice maiden knew quite a fast way of achieving that. By establishing the mental connection with Roshnak, she was able to transfer all of the necessary knowledge.

Roshnak possessed a pronouncedly strong intellectual fortitude. He was absorbing everything that the maiden threw at him as a sponge. Ch'ybal knew immediately, she wasn't wrong, when she decided on choosing this young orc. A perfect specimen, a perfect tool, with which she had a chance of defending her home, and therefore probably saving the entire Dorull. Ice maiden could feel Badzanogh's anger. She knew the reasons for his decision, which spurred him to leave his cave, his hiding place. She might have understood his motives, but she could never justify his killing spree. So much pain and suffering disrupted the balance of nature. And the torrent of souls, flooding into the shadow realm, threatened to do the same with that dimension. Ch'ybal feared, if that was to happen, the ripples between the worlds could potentially destroy the entire planet.

In just two days, Roshnak completely mastered the magic of ice maiden. But, before he could begin to use it, his body had to become resistant to the extreme colds. Otherwise, the channeling of these spells would cause incurable injuries, and not long after that, even death. For that reason alone, Ch'ybal led the young orc towards an especially constructed, quite large room, completely enclosed and seemingly isolated from the outside world. As soon as she closed the door, all and any sounds from the outside disappeared. The room was empty. Besides the bed, one table and the chair. There were no windows, no decorations, just a bland white floor and walls. It looked somewhat eerie.

"You are going to spend some time here." Ch'ybal explained "Once your body gets used to the cold, you'll be allowed to leave."

"Why?" Roshnak asked.

"Your body must become stronger, more resistant, before we take the next step."

"How am I to do that locked in this room?"

"Everlasting ice will make you stronger, trust me." Ch'ybal said "I'd advise you to spend your time meditating. Dealing with the extremely low temperatures, could often be very strenuous for the mind as well."

"What about the exercise?"

"They are quite useful too." Ice maiden nodded, "Now, take off your clothes."

"What?" young orc's cheeks slightly blushed "What for?"

"Unprotected body will adapt to the cold much better."

"Is that the reason why you are naked too?" Roshnak asked.

"Don't be ridiculous, I was born from ice. I am incapable of feeling cold." Ch'ybal retorted "To tell you the truth, I could never get used to the cloth. It is far too rough and restraining."

"I don't know, it feels good to me." Roshnak said begrudgingly, taking off the last piece of clothing "And quite warm."

"You'll soon find out that it is unnecessary." the ice maiden said, leaving the room.

Orc was left alone. At first, he could not sense any change. This wasn't that bad. But Roshnak did not know, the temperature began lowering gradually, as soon as Ch'ybal left. Until, some ten minutes or so later, when he began to shake uncontrollably. He jumped in an attempt to warm himself. And then he tried running around the room, but to no avail. What's more, he felt it became even colder, by doing so.