CHAPTER 10

In a very bright flash of light, Roshnak found himself back inside the Gogron's hut, mere seconds after he stepped through the portal. He rushed downstairs, knowing there's no time to waste. He was expecting to jump into the battle, right there on the doorstep. But beside several women, fearfully peeking through the windows of their huts, and a couple of elders standing in the middle of the square, the village was empty.

"Where is everyone?" Roshnak asked one of them.

"Chieftain took the men towards the Novil fields, three days ago." one of the elders said "When scouts reported of some strange, monstrous being, coming our way. Some said, it already destroyed a couple of villages, down south."

"No one survived." another one added.

"Neither will we." the first elder shook his head.

"Are the stables empty?" Roshnak asked.

"There should be a couple of steeds left."

"Much appreciated." Roshnak nodded, as he hastily turned around.

A few minutes later, he was already spurring the young stallion, following the narrow, dirt road, leading south, towards the lush, green meadow. Just about ten miles away from Vur-Paan, Novil field was one of the largest natural habitats of the wild horses and cattle in the entire Chaygor. And as such, very important not just for the village, but the entire region. It provided everything they needed for life. And now, it will be a location, where they will fight for the preservation of said lives.

Roshnak could already hear the sounds of the battle, and they were far from promising. He passed through a rather small grove, and on the enormous opening. A horrific sight in front and all around, made him stop in an instant. At first, he refused to believe what he saw. He couldn't cope with something so terrifyingly surreal. Hundreds upon hundreds of burned bodies, lying everywhere the eyes could see. Pungent stench of charred flesh and nauseating smoke, pinched his nostrils and eyes. Roshnak instantly felt ill in his stomach.

And then he saw him, the elemental. The stone creature, responsible for the destruction and senseless killings. Engulfed in fire, over sixty feet tall, Badzanogh stood in the middle of the field. The creature was surrounded by orcs, who not even now, despite so much loss, weren't giving up on fighting. Roshnak saw their chieftain, Wraog Bogrum. Almost seven feet tall, brawny orc, who in his fifties, still looked like a young man. Beside him, shoulder to shoulder, stood Gogron Vagan, his master, shaman. He did everything in his power, to help the soldiers. But his magic could only slow the monster.

Roots, vines and weed, which under the effects of Gogron's spells, grew wildly all around the elemental, couldn't bind, hamper and hold him down, for more than a few seconds. Badzanogh's fiery energy would almost instantly burn them all into ashes. Roshnak could see the remains of the barriers, made out of dirt and rocks, Gogron undoubtedly lifted before, in an attempt to stop the elemental's progress. But that also failed, for Badzanogh had swatted them in just a couple of swings. Energy spheres and projectiles, the creature barely felt. It was a similar thing with spears and arrows.

In that moment, several orcs managed to sneak past elemental's back. Strong strikes of their two handed sledgehammers shook him quite a bit. Quite sizable, rock fragments scattered all around. Badzanogh screamed in pain, as he realized, those were chunks of his legs. Enraged, almost immediately, he punished the insolent attackers. With the first, very violent swing, he mowed half of the group. With the second, he finished the rest of them.

Roshnak knew, if he wasn't to do something fast, all of his brothers would end the same. He hastily dismounted the horse, charging at the monstrosity, but then decided to stop, some hundred yards away. Orc had hoped, he'll be out of elemental's reach out here, but still be close enough, to use his magical powers. In all of the confusion, he forgot to ask what was the range of these spells.