Chapter 22: Chess Pieces

Matthius held up a candle, illuminating the shadows on his face. "Thank you for gathering on such short notice. My apologies for disturbing your rest."

The Elysians glared at him, all in various states of undress. Julia was in a nightgown, with cream smeared on her face. Sabine's eyes were circled with dark bags, making her look more exhausted than she already was. It seemed that the Mage was still adjusting to her soul being returned to her body. Hubert was standing on crutches next to her, with bandages peeking out from beneath his pants. Daeva imagined that he was digging bullets out of his legs mere moments before Nyx's arrival.

Behind them, Iris's curls were in a disarray, sticking out at all angles. Tristan's glasses sat crooked on his nose, hastily placed on his face after he heard the bell. Vivian's nightshirt was buttoned improperly, with the lowest button fastened to a higher loop. Ezra, of course, looked pristine as ever. His clothes were neat and not a single hair was out of place on his head.

Haydn stood to the side, his clothes covered in dirt from digging up the dead body. She does her best to brush the debris off, making him look less suspicious. Uriel appeared next to her with a cloth, wiping Haydn's face.

"Guys, I'm fine," he said, pushing their hands away. "A little dirt never hurt anyone."

Matthius cleared his throat, silencing the group. His eyes turned black instantly, Nyx taking over his body. She grinned at the Gods and Elysians, stretching Matthius's mouth wider than Daeva thought possible.

How creepy, Daeva thought.

She's doing it on purpose, Anhel said. She likes to throw us off balance. Arriving in the middle of the night, wearing an unsettling expression - she's establishing control through her arrival.

And it was working. The Elysians were on edge just looking at her.

"Greetings," Nyx said. "Nice to see that you're all here. I want to give a round of applause to the Gods, for completing their last tasks so quickly. They have risen to the challenge of the Board far better than I anticipated."

The Lady of the Night clapped, prompting the Elysians to join her. The Elysians do so half-heartedly, filling the air with scattered applause. Daeva and Haydn stood there uncomfortably, both disliking the attention.

Nyx set the candle down on the table, summoning the Board near it. She called the Gods forward, once again asking them to put their hands on the game set. But, before they do so, Hubert stepped forward to voice his objections.

"Stop," he said, maneuvering himself with his crutches. "Don't start the game yet."

Nyx gives him a cold gaze, bristling at the interruption. "Is something wrong, Soulmaker?"

"Yes," he said. "I have reason to believe that you're plotting against me and my brethren. You've drawn the Gods into this conspiracy to dethrone us under the illusion of a game."

The Elysians around him shifted uneasily, but none stepped forward to disagree. They merely observed him, waiting for the consequences.

Nyx laughed at his remark. "Hubert, have I made you lose sleep? Once this round ends, I will send everyone back to bed. Now -"

"I'm not acting crazy," he said. "I have proof." He slapped the paper slip on the table, revealing Daeva's previous task. "It says to 'remove the Soulmaker's mark.' Why did the Board order her to do that? How can such an undertaking make her fit to influence thousands of mortals?"

Nyx's eyes glittered with malice. "I don't control the Board, but even I know it would never make the Gods do something so ridiculous. You are all under my protection. I don't know why you entertain these paranoid delusions. I mean, to go as far as to make up slips of paper and say that the Board ordered the Gods to do this is incredible, to say the least."