Chapter 33: A Deadly Kiss

Kiss Evelyn.

The two words on the paper taunted him with their improbability. He wanted nothing more than to be with his Evelyn, but she didn't exist in this reality. There was only Daeva, the shell of her that remained.

Still, he felt that fatal attraction to her, the echo of their soulmate bond in the deepest corners of his heart.

Odi tightened his hold on Haydn's arm, slithering up his bicep. "Something troubles you, my former vessel. Care to tell me what's on your mind?"

He knew the Chaos God didn't inquire about his well-being out of kindness. As an ancient, infinite being, he didn't inherently care about his trivial, ephemeral problems. But Haydn also knew that as Master of one of the twin suns and Anhel's fated lover, Odi wasn't above the entanglement of interpersonal issues that plagued every sentient being.

"I've been thinking about Evelyn," he said, deciding to answer the God's question honestly.

"You're always thinking about Evelyn."

"She's not the same," he continued, ignoring Odi's weary tone. "The mark that we shared is erased from her body. All of her memories of us are gone. Even her name–"

"In the centuries that you've spent pursuing her, did you really think she wouldn't change?" Odi hisses the question harshly, interrupting his words.

"No, but–"

"She doesn't think of you. She even has sex with her angel. Why do you pine for someone who cannot love you? There is an infinite cosmos of attractive women that look just like the Evelyn you wanted. Pick her successor and cease your whining!"

"I can't replace her," he said. "Just like you were never able to replace Anhel."

"I've had many lovers," Odi protested. "I romanced every single God in the Pantheon."

"But you always went back to him," he countered. "Time and time again, no matter how far you ran, you were doomed to love him. I am cursed in the same way."

Odi let out a long, painful sigh. "It's not the same. For Anhel and I, it has never been our choice to love each other. Fate has tied us so closely together that we cannot escape each other even if we were to have an eternity to untangle ourselves. You can choose to stop loving Evelyn. She has already made the choice to stop loving you."

"No, she hasn't," Haydn said. "She hasn't even been given the chance without her memories."

"Do you really think she would choose to love you after what you did to her? You murdered her. No one has that much forgiveness in their hearts. Move on."

But he couldn't. If he were able to, it would've happened years ago. He still believed that the Soulmate Bond attached him to Daeva, the current incarnation of Evelyn. And despite what his eyes told him, he also believed that the soulmate mark would reappear on her body.

He didn't think it was delusional to hope for these things. She had, after all, wished to remember her past self when they both started Nyx's game. And as slippery as Nyx was, she always honored her word.

But Daeva wasn't getting any of her memories back. He knew this because she didn't look at him any differently than she normally did, offering him the cursory gaze of an acquaintance. He had been a large part of her past life, as all soulmates were to each other.

Haydn was tempted to think that it was impossible for her to remember him, but he had come up with a few plausible theories for her amnesia.

His first theory was that Anhel didn't want Daeva to remember him. As the God who made her his Chosen One, it was in his best interest to protect her, especially since he had no physical form outside of her. Given the sheer violence of her murder, Haydn understood why the God blocked out all memories of him. He was even grateful for it, hating himself for being the cause of her pain.