10: Interactions

Jun's POV

Akemi seemed distressed from the car ride, so I invited them to join me for my internship. I texted my boss as soon as we left the car and she immediately gave the okay.

It was certainly going to be a huge change for the both of us—Akemi would be transferring as a second-year of course, but will be training with the first-year Hero Course. I could only assume it would be because of the advancements that the second-year Hero Course had already been through.

I, on the other hand, would be transferring to UA to continue my internship, and mainly because of Rei's kind words. I was even surprised my parents would agree to such a thing.

I would continue my work from Shiketsu to UA as a Support student with an emphasis on medical procedures. I figured I would get more experience there since their nurse also works closely with the Hero Course to maintain their injuries.

Our hotel and everything would be upgraded on behalf of my father, which was slightly exciting. I wasn't sure how Akemi would feel after all this, but I'm relieved I get to spend more time with them.

I led Akemi inside the hospital as I greeted my co-workers. "Morning!"

"Ah Jun, good morning! Who's this?" The lady at the front desk stood up and gave me a welcoming smile.

"Miss Hino, this is Masuda Akemi, a long-time friend of mine." Akemi stepped up from behind me and nodded in greeting. "Their pronouns are they them, by the way."

"Right!" Hino nodded her head in delight and then looked over at Akemi, "Nice to meet you! I'm Hino, one of Jun's co-workers."

"Pleasure to meet you as well, Miss Hino."

"They'll just be following me around to see what my internship is like," I noted as I kept walking past the desk, "I'll get straight to work then!"

I grabbed the glasses from my coat pocket and put them on, also taking hold of my clipboard from the stack behind the front desk.

Looking back behind me, Akemi was looking at their surroundings unphased. Their hands were in their pockets.

They finally noticed my eyes on them, "Yes?"

"How do you feel?" I asked as I slowed my pace to match theirs, still scanning my clipboard for the things I needed to complete.

"Less clouded," I noticed they tucked a strand of hair behind their ear. "Thank you for letting me come along, Jun."

"It's no problem Akemi!" I smiled, pushing my glasses back up. "Now, it's gonna be a slightly busy day for me so do you mind being my assistant?"

Akemi followed me around for a majority of the day, helping me with small tasks and waiting outside of patient rooms as I fixed them up. They were pretty quiet for most of it, but honestly I didn't mind it. I knew they didn't like talking much in public, so I didn't want to push it.

I made my way to the front desk to place my clipboard down when suddenly Akemi pulled out their phone.

Many people wouldn't catch them cursing under their breath, but being around them only made me notice it more.

"Everything okay?"

Akemi let out an exasperated sigh, "I need to take this, my work is calling."

I nodded at them and they made their leave. I gave them a soft smile, but it slowly disappeared as they walked out the door.

They really did have a busy life...

I grabbed another clipboard with my favorite patient's name on it, Todoroki Rei, and as I was about to make my leave to head to her room, I noticed somebody walk up to the front desk.