Chapter 38

Synne was running. As fast as she could. Her feet slid on the wet grass, mud splattered her ankles. She needed to see Caser. Needed to talk to him. There was only one explanation as to why he was still alive.

Traitor.

Only one reason for how he could get away with staying so close to the manor and not get caught.

Betrayer.

The same reason he had never told her about himself.

User.

Synne slowed to a stop, hands on her knees as she gasped for air. It couldn't be true. He loved her.

She loved him.

Synne raised her chin to the thunderous sky, rain pelting her face. She grabbed soaked strands of her hair, pulling, and screamed.

Thunder called back to her.

"Synne?"

Her heart froze. Her breathing became ragged. Slowly she turned to the voice.

There he was. So beautiful it hurt. The rain ran down his hair, turning his blond locks dark. It suited him more, suited his shadows that tentatively reached out to her. All from behind that damned fence.

"Synne, what's wrong? You're scaring me darling."

His voice made her want to forget. To reach out and pull him through.

"How could you do this?" Her voice was rough, still catching her breath.

"Do what?" His hands wound around the bars, "Lovely, please talk to me."

"You're a liar! I trusted you!" She balled up her fists.

She was trying so desperately to control the warble in her voice she didn't notice the wind picking up.

"You used me, Caser." Synne spat his name as thunder cracked again, closer.

Caser's eyes widened and his shadows stilled, "Who told you? Who knows?" Panic snuck into his voice. Good.

"It doesn't matter. You should be dead but here you are. I'm sure this was the perfect setup for you, I spilled my secrets and in return you got to get your dick wet."

Synne couldn't stop the tears now streaming down her face. Too many to be mistaken for rain.

"Synne, no, it's not like that. Please calm down."

"Tell me then! Because for the life of me I can't understand why you would try to turn me. Was it some perverted game between you and Julian?"

Caser flinched at the name. Leaves started ripping from their branches, the rain turned to hail.

Synne's hair was whipping her face, the hail stinging as it bounced off of her. The hail pelting Caser hit him harder, ripping holes in his clothes, though he didn't react.

"There is no love lost between me and the Baron. I hate him! I hate everything he does!"

"Then why work with him!"

Synne screamed as a thunderous crack filled the air. One of the enormous pine trees was splintering and... falling. Synne dove out of the way as it came crashing down towards her. It narrowly missed her but as soon as it hit the wrought iron fence a flash of yellow lit the air and repelling the tree.

Synne was knocked to the ground, the air rushing out of her lungs. Her eyes squeezed shut as hundreds of needles scratched her face.

"SYNNE!"