4. Owe You.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BROWN SUGA BABE  |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Honolulu, Hawaii

Once the plane landed at Daniel K. Inouye International Airport, Joanna's co-pilot almost immediately started asking her questions about both her life and her career as a pilot. She didn't mind though, because this was the first officer's first-ever international flight. And because there wasn't much to do while the plane de-boarded, Joanna entertained the friendly conversation.

Four of them started the flight, but one of the pilots was getting dropped off in Hawaii for a separate flight they were working, leaving just three of them for the rest of the trip to and from Fiji.

"This is the longest leg I've ever flown," he told Joanna. "I'm excited though. Excited to really start seeing the world and all it has to offer, yuh know."

"So I take it you've never been to Fiji then?"

"Never. I'm excited about that two-day layover though. Can't wait to get out there and really see the island."

"Exploring the island is fun, yes. But make sure you get a lot of rest too."

"Of course," he nodded his head. "Can I ask you another question though?"

"Sure," she shrugged.

"What made you want to become a pilot?"

"I was in ROTC in high school and joined the Air Force when I was 17. I guess that's where my love for flying came from."

"Oh really? You still in it? The Air Force?"

"No. I left after ten years of service. Surprised I stayed that long, to be honest."

"Why do you say it like that? What's wrong about being in the Air Force?"

She just shrugged, waiting for a second before really answering because she didn't want to spew her now not-so-positive thoughts about the military onto him because some people can be very sensitive about that topic.

"Nothing is wrong with it per se. I've always loved flying, I just don't think being in the military was for me. Now here I am a pilot all these years later. I love this job though. I love flying and being able to see the world."

"Yeah, I think that's my favorite part too," he nodded his head. "Seeing the world. And flying has made me realize that the world has so much to offer."

"It really does. And I'm not even just talking about all the countries I've been to; I've met a lot of amazing people over the years and created some amazing relationships. I really can't see myself doing anything other than this. You of all people know it's not an easy job, but it's worth it if you have a real passion for flying."

"You're right, it's very rewarding. And speaking of rewarding, what you gonna do for the half a day we're gonna be here, in Hawaii?"

"Honestly? Nothing," she let out a slight laugh. "Probably just chill at the hotel and relax before we gotta get back on board."

Joanna values her alone time above anything else and would participate in the crew dinner and night out when they reach their final destination. But all she wanted to do during that 13-hour layover was get checked into her hotel room, find something to eat, and then go to sleep. She didn't really want to mingle with any of the crew members or the other pilots whatsoever.