The spring

I returned home feeling exhausted and fearful. I sat down on my bed trying to regain some of my strength. Ten minutes later I deemed that I had to call somebody on the phone asking for help since my car was broken. I dialed a familiar number - that of the police station 30 miles away - but there was a weird sound on the other end! I could hear a muffled voice saying something like this: "I know what you are trying to do but you are alone now". I slowly placed the receiver down and started sweating.

I covered my face with my palms trying to think of my or his next move. In a while I gathered all of my mental strength and I stood up. I grabbed the flashlight beneath my bed and held the rifle with my other hand. I forced the door open and shouted: "Come on you, coward, I know that you are hiding from me! Let me see your evil face once again!" Nothing happened. I continued: "I am going to kill you tonight with my own hands". The only sound that I could hear was the clap of distant thunders and that of the wind whistling through the trees.

I turned towards my car and made my way there. I wanted to know if the receiving set was working. I switched it on and pressed the red button. "Can anybody hear me?" I cried. At first, I heard a humming sound and after a while a girlish low voice: "Please help me, I am alone in the dark. I feel stranded. I am near a water spring". My head was about to explode! I had to do something before I'd lose my mind. I started walking fast towards the spring and I felt a wave of cold air around me. I stopped dead in my tracks and clenched my teeth. In front of me the same boy was staring at me with a glare full of hate.

Blood was gushing from his wound and it seemed to me that he had lost most of his energy. "Mondoe, shirakam, abnani," he whispered. "Who are you and what do you want from me?" I shouted and lifted my rifle up once again. He didn't move but he kept repeating the same three words in a different order: "Abnani, mondoe, shirakam". He might have been reciting a spell or something like that I reckoned. I felt drained and experienced an awful headache. I only managed to bark my rifle but it was pointing to the ground and I missed him. I felt nausea and slowly fell on the ground. The only thing that I remembered before I lost my consciousness it was the sight of him slowly leading his body towards mine...