10 - Hope

As Midas leaves his sleeping quarters, brushing a comb through his hair and straightening it, he begins looking around for Astra.

"She said she would be waiting for me on the beach." He mumbles to himself with a yawn following after. "But I'm not sure if she's still there as I don't know how long ago she gave the note to Jonesy."

He quickens his pace, not wanting to keep the girl waiting any longer than she may have already been. Things seemed somewhat quiet around The Sanctuary, with guards that weren't currently fighting in Condo Canyon patrolling the area.

The ground beneath Midas' buckled shoes soon changes from lime green grass to the soft sandy beach, the sound of the calm waves lapping against each other, the tide coming in and out constantly.

Midas stuffs his hands into his pockets, admiring the ocean with the sunlight shining across the sea as he walks across the sandy beach. The sight of the sea and beach made a few thoughts run through his mind.

"The beach sounds like a nice place for me and Jones to just unwind and relax for a day." He mutters to himself. "Maybe when the war's over, we could take some sort of vacation to the beach. I know I could do with one myself."

As Midas walks past a palm tree he finally finds Astra sat under it. She was holding her little staff, clutching it tight with one hand and making a concentrated face while stretching out her other one. He couldn't help but notice how her outstretched hand had a warm orange glow to it slightly.

"Busy there Astra?"

She jumps in surprise. However, to both of their surprises, a ball of fire forms in her outstretched hand which catches both of them off guard. A big smile forms on her face as she gets up.

"Yes! Yes, I did it!" She giggles, spinning around excitedly.

Midas raises an eyebrow, somewhat impressed.

"I see someone's been discovering new things about themselves." He says, a small smile on his face. "So, what's with the sudden flame power?"

Midas takes a seat under the palm tree and Astra quickly joins him, clutching the flickering flame.

"Well, after figuring out the whole light thing I did a few weeks ago I wanted to see if I could do more than just a beam of light from my eye socket."

She leans back against the tree.

"So I started experimenting. And a couple days ago I somehow manifested some kind of fire magic. Pretty cool right?"

Midas chuckles.

"It is. Who knows, maybe it'll come in handy someday."

Astra grins, her cheeks a soft pink colour.

"Anyway, Jones left me a note this morning saying that you wanted me to come find you. Is something the matter?"

She quickly turns back to Midas.

"Oh yeah. The thing is I haven't been able to find any more clues about these memory flashes. And now they're becoming less frequent."

"I see."

"I want to go straight to Orelia and ask her personally. I feel like she's purposely hiding my past from me for some reason, and I want to know why."

"And you want me to take you to her because you believe that I have the power to with the help of Oro's staff?"

She nods. Midas takes pity on the girl and pats her shoulder.

"Well, I've never tried teleporting straight to the palace before. But I'll certainly give it a try."

As they both get up from under the tree, Midas holds out his hand, his sceptre appearing in it. However before he can make any attempt at teleporting away, someone else intervenes.