Chapter 8: Seaside Trip

21st July 1935, Brighton

"So close." The soft voice of a woman mumbled.

A misty dark room with the only light coming from what appeared to be a tall window or maybe it was a gateway or a mirror. Whatever it was, it glowed a brilliant pale blue light.

Crumbling ancient stones formed its frame, near its foot were golden sands which shone brightly. It was no ordinary sand or gateway. After all, the other side of the gate was not there. The gate's insides were covered in a strange iridescent blue-black curtain that ebbed and flowed as if it was a black ocean on a moonlit night.

It wasn't the first time Cordelia had seen the odd arch.

For over a year, she dreamt of this and every time, it was the same. That woman from her dreams with familiar bright blue eyes and light brown hair like hers would stand and watch the gate in silent awe. In every dream, the woman got closer and closer to the gate.

Some days, that woman would have a notebook and quill in her hand, scribbling away while muttering to herself like a mad woman or to the other people there. Most days, she'd be completely alone, lost in her thoughts, staring deeply at the gate.

Yet for some reason, Cordelia had stopped seeing any new encounters of the woman at the gate. Instead, she kept seeing the same dream over and over again like a broken record.

It started like the other dreams; the woman would appear in the large hall with the gate in the centre, alone like most days.

Yet the similarities ended there.

In the repeating dream, the woman no longer just stared. She circled around the gate, her heels echoing around the hall. Alongside, she kept muttering something.

The hall shook but the ancient stone arch remained unmoved. Mist rolled in from the gate and a bright light descended upon the hall, blinding her.

When she opened her eyes, the woman was nowhere to be seen. Cordelia was left alone with the strange gate. She tried to turn away and walk towards an exit but she couldn't. Her feet wouldn't move. It was like she wasn't in control of herself anymore.

She felt so cold at that moment, she hugged herself. How strange. It wasn't that cold a moment ago yet suddenly the temperature dropped. She turned her gaze towards the door to find it was not like a black sea but rather familiar to a mesmerising pale blue gossamer.

The gateway beckoned Cordelia to come closer. Even though she tried to stop herself, she couldn't. Her feet were moving on her own. She tried to look away but she couldn't. The glowing gateway called to her like sirens luring sailors into its dark and murky depths.

She knew this wasn't real yet the bone-chilling cold told her otherwise.

She was dreaming.