Chapter 16

Carmelita took a puff of her cigarette, blowing the smoke out before planting a kiss on the side of Ethel's forehead. The steam from the bathwater rose around them, Carmelita massaging Ethel's wet hair as she laid up against her. She laid back on Carmelita's bare chest, looking up at her. Carmelita carefully passed the cigarette on to her which she happily took, and Carmelita raked her fingers gently through Ethel's long locks of hair, untangling any knots as she went.

"You know I used to make my cigarettes," Ethel paused to take a breath of the warm, sweet smoke, then exhaled it before continuing. "I used lavender and chamomile in mine. I never liked the taste of tobacco."

"Neither did I. The first cigarette I was ever given was at my debutante ball when I went outside to take a break from all the people. I had to force myself to not vomit," Ethel couldn't help but laugh at that, leaning over to tap some ash into the ashtray. "That one is red raspberry leaf and St. John's wort. I do not know why they named it that though. Those help with nicotine poisoning if you have it, anxiety, depression, a few other things." Carmelita took the cigarette back, taking a puff from it before snuffing it out into the tray. She picked up Ethel's long locks of hair, trying to see how long it truly was when it was wet.

"My dear you could be Rapunzel or a world record winner with how long this hair is. When did you stop cutting it?"

"Only about two years ago."

"Two years?" Carmelita looked at Ethel with an expression of pure surprise. "How long was it before you grew it out?"

"Shoulder length."

"Dear lord Ethel what kind of magical hair oil do you use for this?" Carmelita still had Ethel's hair in her hands, trying to comprehend how long it truly was still.

"I just use almond and rosemary oil; it's not some select blend." Ethel raked her fingers through her wet hair, it soon tangling and snagging against her fingers. Carmelita ran her fingers along Ethel's neck and collarbone, studying the bruising she had. They had only faded slightly but were still a mulberry color. Ethel did not seem to mind them, having not looked in the mirror after Carmelita had carried her over to the bathtub since she had not wanted to walk on the cold tile.

"Are they that bad?" Ethel covered Carmelita's hand in hers, and she stopped trancing her fingers over the bruises. Carmelita sighed, grabbing a handheld mirror off the side of the bathtub, next to some of the unlit candles. She held it up to Ethel and she gasped, covering her mouth with her hands.

"Why on earth didn't you stop if you knew they were going to bruise this bad?" Ethel worked herself up, letting out a huff as she crossed her arms over her chest, a frown on her face with her cheeks flushed pink.

"I asked you if I was hurting you and you said no so I kept going," Carmelita rested her chin on Ethel's shoulder, planting a gentle kiss on her neck. "I don't care how they look; I just care if they hurt or not." She ran her finger along Ethel's collar bone, and she sighed, wrapping an arm around Carmelita, and planting a kiss on her head.

"They don't, but they don't feel great either." her neck felt a tad bit sore, but it was not painful. Carmelita planted a gentle kiss on her lips, climbing out and wrapping a towel around herself, before helping Ethel out and doing the same for her. She took a towel and wrapped Ethel's hair up, it being far too long for the regular hair turban that she had. Carmelita cupped Ethel's face with her hand, running her thumb along her chin. She seemed like she wanted to say something but instead planted a gentle kiss on Ethel's lips.

"I'll get Elise to tell the cooks to prepare some breakfast."

"That would be nice."

Ethel had sat outside at the glass table in her robe and nightgown, Lancelot perched on her lap as she listened to the birds chirping while eating. Carmelita placed a cup of tea quietly down next to her, pulled up a chair, and sat down. They sat in silence, enjoying the sounds of the morning breeze as it ruffled the leaves on the trees. Ethel seemed to be thinking about something, tearing off a small bite of toast and giving it to Lancelot, which he happily ate. Ethel remembered the letter that Matthias had given her, having dropped it on her way in the house, where it was now most likely floating around somewhere.