Chapter 7: Jaws of the Trap

Ivan babbled for the rest of the ride

Ivan babbled for the rest of the ride. "I need to keep you awake in case you have a concussion," he'd said. She'd mustered up what courage and stability she could to wholeheartedly ignore him after that. She didn't want to look over at the Russian though, even if it meant not seeing Ivan. She knew that if his cold, blank eyes landed on her again that she would break under the weight of them.

Theo couldn't decide if she was more relieved to see the apartment building appear on the horizon or if it would be easier to stay in the truck. She wasn't given a choice as they pulled to a stop and both doors flung open. The Russian turned back and wrapped his fingers in an iron grip around her upper arm, dragging her across the leather seat towards him.

"I can walk on my own!" She snapped at him, internally cringing at the tremble in her voice. Ivan raised his brows at her, the ever-present smile wiped off of his face as he stared at the Russian. The cold man didn't lay eyes on Ivan though. He held her gaze captive for a long moment. She fought to raise her chin, even as her head throbbed and snowflakes collected in her eyelashes.

"If you run, I'll kill your brother," he said simply.

Tears welled in her eyes at the thought, so she quickly jerked her head down in a nod. Her body groaned and creaked as she limped through the parking lot towards the building. The Russian's long, confident strides carried him inside while she struggled to keep up. Ivan stayed by her though, a hand hovering just behind her should she fall. She caught his concerned eyes staring at her as they progressed, and her shoulders shuddered.

"What is this?" She asked him, her tone pleading.

He hesitated for so long that they'd almost made it to the front doors by the time he spoke. Her hand landed on the door when he stopped her with a gentle touch. "We're going to make you strong. It's for the best here," he said in a whisper.

"What does that mean?" Her voice came out as a whine, tears lingering on the edge of it.

Ivan jumped at her raised voice, head darting around to ensure they were still alone. "Do not speak of this. I've told you everything I can," he rushed out in a single quiet, strained breath.

With that, he swung open the door and waited patiently behind her as she made the long trek to the stairs. She had only taken the first two when she felt her body waiver. The weightless sensation of falling overtook her.

Strong arms caught her and steadied her on her feet. She looked back in a daze at Ivan. With a sigh he said, "you're in no shape to be doing this, darling."

"I can do it," she whispered, and tried to lift her leaden foot to the next stair. The toe of her boot caught it and she pitched forward, just barely catching herself on her hands.

He looked at her with pity in his eyes. "That's enough of that now."

Before she could object he was picking her up. She fought him, so he slung her over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes and let her beat on his back as he took the stairs two at a time.