Chapter 13: Pride

Theophania's face was peaceful, dark curls floating listlessly in the freezing cold water

Theophania's face was peaceful, dark curls floating listlessly in the freezing cold water. His hand was gripped tightly around her slender neck as he held her under. Her own thin fingers wrapped around his wrist, slowly tightening with a strength that hadn't existed two weeks prior as her lungs constricted.

Those golden brown eyes snapped open suddenly. Even warped by the water, Kiril could see the fear in them. The panic.

Her nails dug into his arm, so tight they drew blood. Her body thrashed, hair tangling in her face. Her last bit of air finally bubbled up from between her lips.

Kiril ripped her from the water into an upright position. She coughed violently through clacking teeth. Her thin shirt clung to her form, and he found his eyes catching on her slim waist.

The girl scurried over with a thick wool blanket and draped it around Theophania's shoulders. Ivan was hot on the girl's heels, crouching in the shallow lake water and clapping Theophania hard on the back to dispel any leftover water from her lungs.

"You did well miss." The girl murmured, brushing Theophania's curly hair out of her face, and swiping away the water that dripped from her chin with a towel. "Are you alright?" She asked.

"Yes," she coughed out. "Thank you Clara, I'm fine," Theophania said through gasps of air. He could smell the salt of her tears mingling with the water, though.

Ivan checked his watch. "You made it to one forty-six this time," he said. "Getting better."

Kiril rubbed his wrist, smearing the blood into a red mist over his pale skin. The scarlet substance quickly cooled, turning dark and beginning to harden. "Enough coddling," he snapped, stepping forward into the water once more. "Again."

Theophania shook her head immediately. "We've been at it for an hour now. I'll freeze to death!" she complained through chattering teeth.

Kiril turned harsh eyes on her, about to insist when Ivan butted in.

"She's right. I can't even feel her fever anymore. We should move on."

His gaze hardened on the redhead, forcing him to shrink like a melting ice. Satisfied that he was still in control of the situation, he relented.

"Very well then," he commanded, turning away from the party and striding towards the thick treeline.

He heard the rush of falling water as they lifted Theophania out of the frigid lake, and then their varied steps behind him. Theophania's were uneven- still limping ever so slightly on one leg, much to his displeasure. Ivan's normally confident, long stride hesitated constantly to keep pace with her shorter ones.

The walk passed mostly in silence, the occasional remark echoing through the dense trees about Theophania's recovery. The clearing stacked with split wood came into view.