Chapter 6: Broken Cloak

Agony

Agony.

Agony was all Dime knew- agony and white hot rage.

He writhed, trying to force his horribly broken legs beneath him so that he might pursue his sister as Kiril spirited her away in a loose embrace. One paw scrabbled in the fresh snow, and a whine that chafed his throat raw echoed across the barren, windswept road as he caught sight of Theo's brown eyes. The moonlight caught their honeyed depths, and revealed that they now swam with a rheumy weariness that betrayed how hurt she was.

A bone cracked, splinters of it shooting throughout his muscled flesh as he forced his back legs underneath his body. Before he could try to rise from the bloodied earth, the teeth were upon him.

Mitroshkas breath stank of rot. It was all Dime could think about as those sharp teeth clenched hard around his glass embedded neck, crunching through his frost tipped fur and bruised skin like it was little more than paper.

When he stilled, he felt the brush of immense power against his mind, foreign and familiar all in one. Vsevolod appeared on the rise of hard packed ice, a howling wind ruffling his thick white fur. His alpha was pristine, as if none of what had occurred below had managed to shake his unwavering leadership.

Dime sagged in Mitroshkas jaws with a whimper as his eyes slid back to his sister, disappearing around the bend in the road in Kirils arms.

"Disobedience is unbecoming of you, Dimetreaus," Vsevolod delivered, his tone stern- sterner than he'd ever heard it before. Dime wilted before the disapproval he felt radiating off of their internal bond. "We would not be in this situation were it not for your shortcomings."

His lifeblood was draining out into the muddied snow, and he began to feel faint. The adrenaline of being struck was wearing off, leaving him alone to his pain, and his shame. For a moment, those crystalline blue eyes seemed unflinchingly cold. Colder than the winter storm that settled in around them like prison walls.

Dime shivered.

The look passed, and before his eyes the wolf surrounding the man evaporated with a 'snap' of air. Vsevolod's hair was the same pristine white, but his eyes had softened almost imperceptibly.

Aeryn was quick to scramble up the ice hill and drape around their alphas shoulders a cloak of deepest black. It made Vsev's coloring all the more severe; turned his stark white skin into unflinching marble, and his piercing eyes into chips of clear diamond.

Once the cloak had settled to brush the jagged ice beneath Vsev's feet, he began moving. Not once did his proud steps falter as he approached, a more familiar look of faint concern painted across his pale features. Faint, because to show outright fear would be unbecoming of an alpha so revered. It would cause panic amongst his packmates; many of the men whom he considered as his brothers.

With a wave of his hand, the pressure lifted from Dime's neck, and his great wolfish head slumped into the bloody snow. Stinging salty blood ran into one of his eyes, turning his vision wine stained and making him blink.