Chapter 5:Consequences

"You're sending me where?"

"I've already explained this twice to you, Naruto." Sarutobi's deadpann was barely concealed. "Do you honestly expect a third?"

"Yeah, because it'd make me feel all warm and cozy inside." Naruto's deadpann was barely concealed. Endeared though he might've been with the Sandaime during his youth it was a man, not a boy, who gazed upon the Third now, through eyes unfettered by admiration and endearment. For as long as he could remember he'd wanted to wear that hat, sit in that seat. Losing a war had changed that. There were burdens with being in command, impossible decisions that no man should have to break. Some broke under the pressure. Others bowed to it and let it pass them by. And stiill others bore up under the weight of that horrible burden, carrying it stoically all those days.

To this day, he still wasn't entirely sure which of those three Sarutobi Hiruzen had turned out to be.

Granted, he understood exactly what the privileges/responsibilites of the office entailed, including authoritative proccess and quite frankly, thought his first-and possibly last-assignment was complete bullshit. To send a newly-integrated shinobi out into the field so soon was just asking for trouble. Especially if that ninja was an Uchiha-still galled him to say that!-supposedly descended from Madara himself.

"Very well. But this is the last time."

"Whatever you say, Hokage-sama." God it was so weird to say that!

The Sandaime sighed, the sound of a leader old and worn. And yet he seemed oddly relaxed. Peaceful, even. Naruto couldn't tell; he'd never been good at reading the old man's moods when he was younger. Even with all these years of experience behind him, he still couldn't tell whether the old man -he would always be seen that way in his eyes- was pleased or pissed with him. Hell, that expression of his remained entirely the same as that day...

...the day he'd been slain.

Naruto nearly blanked up right then and there; dear kami alive, how was he going to prevent that? Granted the time of Hiruzen's death would not be for many, many years 'til now but just the thought itself was enough to give him chills. 'That's right, he mused, 'Obito and Madara aren't the only threats here. I've got to worry about "him" as well. What a pain...!'

If left unchecked, Orochimaru would leave the village and torment thousands of innocent souls. Not to mention all those he would kill...

'I won't let that happen, either.' he reminded himself, forcibly wresting his mind back to the present as the Hokage finished his explanation.

...in short, you'll be part of a joint envoy to Sunagakure." Hiruzen explained for the third and final time. "They've recently sighted Iwagakure scouts on their borders and tensions are high throughout the nation. As they are one of our only allies at present, I cannot stress the importance of this. They lack our military might, but many talented shinobi have recently come under their banner." He fixed Naruto with a pointed gaze, leaving the blond wondering just what he'd meant by that. Is he implying I'd be better off there?

"What?" Naruto blinked.

"Ara, its nothing." Sarutobi waved his question away with his hand. "I just it difficult to reconcile your actions with that of your ancestor's given the...resemblance." Ah, so that's what it was. Wait, that was the absolute last thing he wanted! As things stood,

"I have got to get this cut." The blackette growled, touching a hand to his spiky mane. "I don't want anyone comparing me to him."

"And why not?"

"Because I'm my own man." The Uchiha found himself glowering in more ways than one as he lowered his arm. "I don't want to share the present with some bloody ancestor."