a bit of information

So this is kinda gonna be a self insert as far as the character's cultural background is concerned, but personality and interests are that of an oc (as in I won't make y/n a self insert, im just using my life as inspiration for some of the background building)

Y/n is a shy person with far too many people pleasing tendencies, they offer help to anyone and everyone whenever they can. They can come off a bit rude sometimes, but it's more due to them having problems with regulating and understanding tone.

They were born in texas and moved from their hometown to Hawkins with their grandmother in the summer of 1984 (when they were a rising sophomore{headed to 10th grade}).

They don't have any familial connections with anyone In the cast, but  they did tutor Will Byers that summer (the summer they moved to Hawkins)and a bit of the following fall semester to help him catch up with others in his grade.(they were contacted by Joyce after posting flyers offering tutoring services around town, and after hearing of Will's unfortunate circumstances {all they know is that he had gone missing the previous year and had missed a lot of school after as well due to doctors visits} was going to tutor him for free but Joyce insisted on paying {she initially had to go over y/n's head and give the money to their grandmother before y/n realized that they had no say in the matter and started accepting the money themselves}).  Y/n kept in touch with Joyce after the Byers moved to California, but doesn't talk to her often other than the occasional check in. They don't really know Jonathan, but did have had a few passing conversations with him about music and Will's progress back when they were tutoring him. They know of the rest of the party, hearing Will talk about his friends when they took study breaks, but they wouldn't be able to pick any of them out of a crowd other than the Byers. They write the occasional letter to Will checking on his progress and sending him encouragement, but other than that (and a sending him a few birthday cards) they don't have much interaction with him anymore. He is however how they got introduced to dnd (they've never played a campaign, but still have the character sheet will helped them fill out just in case they find the time and people to play the game with).

While they don't have any time to join extracurriculars or spend energy on hobbies, (their schedule is essentially school, study, tutor{or babysit on slow weeks}, take care of their grandmother, other household chores, sleep{sometimes this is replaced by reading or more studying}, repeat.) in their occasional freetime they find themselves doodling, writing down new recipe ideas (though they don't tend to ever test them out because money is tight and if something doesn't work out, then they're wasting ingredients), and altering thrifted clothing (sometimes even making new clothes out of thrifted fabrics and curtains/bedsheets found on clearance). They're relatively smart, and in all advanced classes (other than their electives, in which they take home ec and have a free period).

They're hispanic (and most of the food that they make in this fic will be Mexican food, because those are the recipes and descriptions I'm most familiar with {I won't write out them cooking often tho, so dw}) they know latin and American sign language( these were part of their research obsessions when they were little), and speak spanglish mixed with Texan slang (meaning they speak mostly English, but sometimes slip in Spanish phrases/mannerisms, and most of their figures  of speech will be ones common in texas) they know Spanish but don't use it as often, and sound stiff compared to other native speakers due to lack of use. (their parents wouldn't let them speak Spanish past the 5th grade because they {the parents} thought if y/n prioritized English they would have more opportunities when growing up.)

Y/n's grandmother calls them moonpie (there is a story behind this that is told later, much to y/n's embarassment)

They aren't well liked by teachers (most of the staff see them as a know it all and even though they keep quiet during lessons, the fact that they're always done with most worksheets and quizzes faster than the teacher had planned for the students to be makes the staff feel as if they're showing off.) And they're basically invisible to most of their classmates unless someone needs help of a parent hires them to tutor their kid.