00 | a night to remember

"I saw you in a dream...

Tried to keep my eyes closed

I want you so bad

Then I awoke and it was so sad"

- "Saw You In A Dream" by Japanese House

Artemis awoke from her dream with a start

She blinked a few times, rubbing the tiredness from her eyes, before sitting up from her sleeping bag. She stretched out, a yawn escaping her slightly chapped lips.

As her drowsiness wore off, she observed the surrounding atmosphere of the forest. Darkness coated the tall pine trees in shadows. The only source of light that was available was that which came from the moon, its gentle glow speckling flecks of lights onto the leaves of the trees and the blades of grass. The only sounds that filled the air were the soft trills of a cricket and the rustles of branches.

"It's night," Artemis deadpanned.

Before she could stand up, she felt some weight drop itself onto her lap. Having been accustomed to this scenario various times throughout the course of two months, she knew exactly what, or who to be more precise, this small load was.

"Rigby!" she squealed, hugging her furry pet raccoon in delight. "Oh how I missed you!"

Rigby's beady black eyes blinked at her in confusion.

"Yeah I know I was only asleep for a few hours, but that's so long to spend without you!" she whined.

She grabbed him from the bottom of his forelegs, placing him in  her open satchel. "We should get going." She rolled down her coral peach glove, revealing a pale pink watch. "It's 7:53...meaning we have roughly...eleven hours to search."

She rolled up her glove and stood up, stretching herself out again with a crick of her back. She then proceeded to roll up her sleeping bag, hastily wiping off any persistent bits of grass and dirt that had clung to the bottom. Once she had put the sleeping bag away in her satchel next to Rigby, who was peeking his furry head out, she started making her way through the forest.

As is customary among normal people, jobs and activities that needed to be done were worked on throughout the day, when the bright light of the sun would make the surroundings visible. However, Artemis was far from what one would consider a normal person. Aside from the baby raccoon lying in her satchel, rather than something more conventional such as a kitten or puppy, Artemis also looked very much unlike the regular human inhabitants of the planet Earth. Instead of sporting two fleshy, oval ears on the opposite sides of her head, Artemis sported two soft, circular ears that stood beside her bangs.  Rather than having the soft, elegant hair that most human females showed off,  she had short, white, and messy fur that touched her shoulders. And with her big blue eyes that took up three-fourths of her face, the eyes of humans looked small and dainty in comparison.