Chapter Thirty-Four

I step out of Mason's car when we get to Drew's cottage, as Mason pops his trunk and grabs our things, carrying my bag for me. When he comes around the car, he wears a smile that causes my heart to race at warp speed— wrapping his arm around my shoulder, he pulls me close as we walk toward a steep staircase.

"I hated the silence between us," Mason murmurs as we walk up the wooden stairs to the cottage.

"Me too."

Taking his hand draped over my chest, I link my fingers with his and wrap my free arm around his waist. I take this final moment as it is just the two of us and kiss his hand and his lips press into my hair. Drew & Charlotte sit out on the deck, hollering at the two of us as Mason and I make our way up the steps to meet them.

Drew, always so polite, stands up and pulls a chair from the table, offering it to me, but Mason drops the bags and sits down, gesturing for me to sit on his lap. "Thanks, Drew, one will do," Mason tells his friend with a smirk. "Come here!" He insists.

I plop myself down onto his lap, and Mason snuggles into my chest. I can't help but feed into this public display of affection around our friends. It's been a long time that I've yearned for moments like this, and I refuse to give it up now. Mason looks at me with a smile that reaches his eyes, and I can see the carefree Mason is back; his inhibitions are gone.

Sophia and Ben come out of the cottage, both looking just as happy as I feel and I am excited to see them together. Ben greets us both, "Have I introduced you to my girlfriend?" He asks and gestures towards Sophia. He wraps his arms solidly around her waist, claiming her to him, and she giggles incessantly.

Mason nods toward the two, greeting them both, then drops his mouth to my skin... kissing my shoulder, he catches my attention. I freeze from his public display of affection, and he notices.

"What's wrong, baby? You don't like PDA?" he whispers, teasing me, "I thought this is what you wanted?" He says, his voice playful, placing another kiss on my skin. I raise my eyebrows at him, and his mouth smashes into mine, making funny smooching sounds.

Shocked gasps ring out around us, and I know my friends are staring at us. When he finally pulls away, I sigh deeply, and his eyes search mine. His smile radiates through me, and I feel heat scorching my skin. I know I am beet red.

"Mase," I whisper, hiding my face in his neck. I can feel him snicker at my embarrassment, but his hands soothe me as they rub gently over my back and neck.

"I'm just giving you what you've been asking for all summer, Miller." He murmurs in my ear as his hand massages the back of my neck and shoulders.

"Do you guys want to go on the boat?" Drew asks us, and we all agree in unison.

Mase grabs my hips and sets me onto my feet in front of him; standing up beside me, he puts his hand on my shoulder, holding me in place, "Drew, where can Ros and I get changed?" he asks his friend and Drew gives us the directions to the spare room inside.

"We'll be back," Mason tells our friends. Stooping, he grabs our bags and hauls me in the way of the bedroom.

Drew's family vacation home is beautiful.

Mase opens the sliding door, bringing me into a lovely 30-foot vaulted living room with windows from floor to ceiling looking over Lake Tapps. The fireplace is the main focus, with old leather furniture surrounding it and antlers set above it.

I see many photos of Drew from when he was younger and point out how cute he was to Mase. "Yeah, what happened to him?" He jokes with me, "Come on, let's find this room." We walk toward the open door beside the kitchen.