Chapter Fifty-Eight

Lilly and I lay on Charlotte's bed, helping her pack for our upcoming move to college at the end of the week. Charlotte is infamous for her procrastination. For as long as I have known her, she has put off anything she deems unnecessary until the very last minute.

Charlotte pulls out every piece of clothing she has in her closet, deciding whether or not to bring it with her. Shirts, dresses, and pants hit Lilly and me in the head as Charlotte madly whips her clothes into piles of taking and give-aways.

Lilly & I not so secretly go through the pile of clothes we find ourselves under, finding clothes that we may want to steal if Charlotte decides against taking them.

"Guys!" Charlotte cries as she notices us grabbing her stuff and putting them behind us. "That's not very helpful!" She whines but begins laughing at us. "Whatever. If you guys bring those, then I don't need to get rid of anything, do I?"

"Rosie, how was your weekend away with Mason and your mom's newest sugar daddy?" Lilly asks me as she holds a knitted sweater up to her, smirking as she calls David a sugar daddy.

I smile at her and tell her we had a wonderful time, not telling either of them how we ended the weekend. I do not want to talk about how Mason left without me or how he has yet to call like he said he would.

They don't need to know that I have tried calling him a few times over the past two days since we returned from Port Angeles, with nothing but a voicemail for me to speak to.

I don't want to have my friends stare at me with concern or their I-told-you-so looks.

"What did you guys end up doing while you were there?" Charlotte asks over her shoulder, kneeling in the closet as she organizes her shoes. Her voice comes out muffled as she leans in further, digging towards the back of the closet.

"We went hiking, and he took me to La Push," I tell them. "We spent a lot of time together. It was a perfect weekend." I can hear the lie I speak, but luckily, neither catch it.

The girls and I haven't hung out much lately, with Charlotte & myself spending most of the past month or so hanging out with Drew & Mason.

We have gotten some heat from Lilly, from our promises made to each other that we would have the best summer of our lives before heading to Seattle together. Luckily, her new girlfriend, Miranda, has taken up all of her time, freeing us from our vows.

"How are things with Miranda, Lil?" I ask, changing the subject away from Mason and me.

Lilly goes quiet, and her silence makes Charlotte and I turn to look at her. Lilly is a beautiful shade of pink, and her smile widens across her face.

Lilly begins shaking her head as if in disbelief and says, "Things are so fucking good, guys. I didn't think it was possible to like someone this much," She cries, her hand rubbing the skin over her heart.

I smile at my best friend. Little did we know what this summer held for us.

Charlotte's mouth gapes open at our friend, then looks at me and says, "I never thought I'd see the day." Lilly laughs mockingly at Charlotte and throws a feather pillow at her back as Charlotte dives back into the back of her closet, searching for more shoes to pack for our move.

My phone rings, and I smile, feeling a sense of relief when I see that it's Mason calling.

Lilly grabs it from me; a scowl draws her brows together, "We said no boys today!" She says, whining at me.

I stare at my friend and hold out my hand till she finally gives it back with a huff. I roll my eyes at her and leave the bedroom to take his call.

"Hi, Mase!" I'm sure he can hear the smile in my voice as I answer, "What are you up to?" I ask him, not having heard from him since we returned from our weekend away.