31 - Jessica

Jessica

Jessica

I thought I'd have just enough time to figure out an outfit for what felt like a big event. The Parkinsons are all revved up about it, I felt like I should've been more frantic from the days prior. In my defense, I'm suddenly being made aware that Chelsea Wayne's birthday is giving headlines all over the newspapers, given her auntie's engagement is a piece of big news. A lot of people want to be at her party because they want to stick their noses to the said engagement.

I was ready to conclude that it couldn't get any worse when I had a phone call from my landlord, telling me my apartment has succumbed to running water due to a broken pipe – which is totally unsurprising because the building is old and poorly maintained. And it wasn't also the first apartment I rented that suffered the same fate.

As I imagine my cheap furniture floating around in abandon, I quickly rang Kylie because she, on the other hand, might have something valuable floating around that needed saving.

Again, unsurprisingly, Christian answered her phone.

"Hey, do you know Kylie's apartment might be a shrunken treasure by now?"

"Uh, yeah. Landlord called around seven in the morning," he answers, still a little disoriented. "We just got back into town. Kylie's asleep. It's all taken care of though. She's already moved in with me."

I could sense his grin from the other line.

"Ah. Finally won her over, I see."

"Yeah. Finally," he sighed, the sound so content and happy.

I smiled.

"Oh, wait. Shit. Do you need help with your things?" He asked, voice raising to another octave as if waking up from a daydream.

"Nah. It's nothing important. Tell Kylie I said, 'hi.'"

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely."

"Okay."

"Okay, bye."

I can only picture Kylie a little jetlagged but refreshed at the same time from their secret paradise getaway. My heart flutters at the thought of Kylie having Christian have things taken care of for her. I think it's kind of nice.

I bet it is.

"Hey. There you are. Everything okay?" Kathie stepped outside the patio and handed me a cup of coffee.

"It was just my landlord."

"Oh?"

She accepted the cup. "Yeah. My apartment is getting some of those waterfalls via busted pipe as we speak."

"What?" Her voice raised with worry.

"It's nothing. I've seen it coming miles away."

"And?"