(54) Jessica

Jessica

Jessica

My assistants surveyed the venue before finally sitting down at the bar. Kierra and Jason's rehearsal dinner was officially a success. Some guests, including the couple's relatives, were starting to thin out as the night began to approach midnight.

I looked over my shoulder, looking for Matthew. Maybe he's with Kierra, so I just proceed to the bar.

I gestured to the bartender, and he smiled cheerfully. "What can I get you?"

"Just a bottle of water, please."

My assistants gave me a look. I assumed they had had a couple of vodka shots.

I shrugged playfully. "What? I'm a changed woman."

Well, in a way, I was. I'm no longer single, which is something that I never thought would happen the way it did.

I took the water bottle and went to search for my boyfriend. I stepped out into the garden, starting my search at the now-empty fountain.

"What are you doing out here?"

I gritted my teeth, knowing full well whom the voice belonged to. I look over my shoulder and tried hard not to slap the disloyalty out of his unfaithful ass.

Instead of giving in to my vigilante urges, I took a nice long breath and decided against it.

"I'm looking for Matthew. Have you seen him anywhere?"

His eyes fluttered drunkenly. "So, it's true then. You guys are dating."

"Of course, it's true." Despite my best efforts to be decent, I rolled my eyes.

However, I think he was too drunk because he only responded with a chuckle. "Who would've thought my goody-two-shoes pal could score someone like you?"

I snorted. "Well, duh. Matthew's a hottie. What would you think would happen? I'd let the opportunity pass me by?"

He cocked his head to one side. "Don't you think you'll need someone less bland than him?"

I arched a brow. "Oh, I see where this is going."

"Oh, good." He took a step forward, a hand reaching out to me.

I swatted it away. "Keep your filthy hands off me," I hissed, my resolve dropping all at once. "You're always after whatever Matthew has that you don't, aren't you?"

Jason flinched.

"Oh, I'm right, aren't I?" I scoffed. "Always snatching whatever you could take. You can't help it because you're pathetic that way."

The playfulness in his face was replaced by anger. "Who do you think you are?"

I definitely hit a nerve.

"I'm Matthew's girlfriend, one who will make sure you'll never take any more of anything from him."

His hand clutched my wrist even harder.