the new normal

Luke

"I can tell who wasn't pushing the trolley," Gabi said, swinging her legs as she ate.

"Who?"

"Mum,"

"How do you know?"

"You bought the fancy food, dad wouldn't add it in, so dad must've been pushing it,"

"That's because all my money went on private school," I said.

"I think you have spent more on my clothes than school,"

"Do you know how much school cost?"

"I do. Julian and I are very humble,"

"That's what you think,"

"Did you go to private school, Luke?" Sierra asked.

"No way. I didn't even get new clothes, I got the hand me downs,"

"I didn't think you did. Gabi and Julian are a lot different to her other friends,"

"Don't get me started," she said, "Mads sometimes says things and I actually go into shock. Henry too. You should see the gifts April gets,"

"Why do you go into shock? Have you seen her house?" I laughed, "They are all lovely, I like your friends,"

"Have you heard from Maddox?"

"No, she is still flying and the time zone is way behind us anyway,"

"How come they're going there?"

"It snows,"

"That is pretty cool,"

"I think her auntie lives there too,"

"Meanwhile your uncles live about 30 minutes away," I said.

"No?"

"Your actual uncles,"

"Oh yeah,"

"We should see them again soon,"

She nodded and looked away; Gabi had refused to see them properly since she told them about Maddox. We weren't insanely close as a group of people anyway. I was, but even with dad who was her favourite, there was still a wide divide between the closeness between biological family, and the guys who she considered family. I knew she would choose them in a heartbeat if she had to.

Part of it was probably how she had always been the only kid, so I was hoping now she was going to be out and about, we would all start to bond a lot better.

"Anyway, Sierra wants to visit an art gallery. I would like to go to the beach. What would you like to do?"

"There's a coffee shop I want to visit,"

"Okay... what else?"

"A video game store,"

"Is there anything thats not at home that you want to do?"

"I dunno,"

"We can definitely go to the coffee shop and the video game store then," I said, "Let me know if you think of anywhere else,"

"Well there is one thing,"

"What?"

"I wanna do pottery painting again,"

"Is there a place?"

"Yeah,"

"We can see if there's any space for us, I would love doing that,"

A huge smile came onto her face and she sipped her water, looking between the two of us.

Whenever I went on trips, I had obviously had my brothers. Ash and Cal had their siblings too, but I always wondered what it was like for Gabi and Michael. I mean, living and doing everything with your parents alone was something I personally couldn't imagine- in fact when I always felt I would find it awkward. I wondered if Gabi ever found it strange, or if she was used to it because it had always been that way.