Chapter 3: The Welcome Dinner Party

Once the group had finished the table reading, everyone stood up and applauded. Everyone was crying either because of the outrageously heartbreaking finale or because of the bittersweet realization that it was their last table read as "The Cast of Stranger Things". After plenty of hugs, the cast quickly composed itself and agreed to meet at Millie and Sadie's apartment for drinks, food and dessert. Caleb had made it very clear that he needed to at least make a sundae for Jess as a new cast member if they weren't going out for him to treat her. Jess drove in the car she came in with Maya where they caught up on how life had been recently. They arrived at the apartment they were subletting together, where they dragged all of Jess's things in. Maya had been well adjusted because she had moved in a few days prior but Jess was grateful she could be getting a good night's rest. They decided to leave Jess's things strewn about her room and ran back down to Millie and Sadie's apartment which was thankfully in the same complex as the two.

    When they arrived, most of the cast had already gotten there. Maya went straight to Joe who was busy making some mixed drinks. Jess followed to which Maya said, "Joeeee." She crossed her arms and said, "Alcohol? With all these minors? What did we talk about last time?" Joe put his hands up and said, "Hey, hey. In my defense, I didn't bring any of this. I'm just making things for the legal people. And if one of the kids takes one...or two, I can't really stop them." Joe looked at Jess and said, "Speaking of which, you legal?" Jess chuckled and said, "Yes. I know I'm short and look young af, but I'm indeed 21." Joe smirked and said, "Nice. Want something?" Jess replied, "Sure. What you got?" She looked at the bottles and said, "Hmmm can you do a Cranberry and Vodka?" Joe said, "I wanted the same thing! Unfortunately they don't have Cranberry." He looked in the fridge and said, "I can try it with Carrot juice?" Jess narrowed her eyes, unsure if she should try it. Finally she gave in and said, "Eh, what the hell. Might as well try it." Joe laughed as he pulled the juice out and began pouring. He said, "An adventurous one. I already like you." Jess took the cup and poured in a fair amount of vodka and said, "You too." She smiled at him and then quickly joined Noah and Finn on the couch.

    Everyone was sitting in a sort of semi circle around the coffee table facing the TV. The previous three sat on the couch and a select few others in chairs or on the floor. They were watching some vegan show on the food network. Jess said, "Well, this isn't what I anticipated when y'all said dinner." Finn yelled, "Thank you!" to which he grabbed the remote and paused the show. "See?" Others agreed with him. Sadie turned around, brows furrowed saying, "Hey! I said that we should watch it some time. Millie is the one who put it on right now!" She looked at Jess and said, "Hey Jess." Jess nodded her head as if to say "Hey!" back. Noah said, "Okay, okay, okay. Turn the music back on. I'm just waiting for the pizzaaaa." Almost if on cue, the group heard the door knock. Noah sprinted to the door yelling, "I got it!" Waving a credit card in the air. Millie rolled her eyes before widening them and feeling around for her wallet. She yelled, "NOAH!" Everyone laughed at the fact that Millie was indeed paying for pizza that night.

    Jess turned to Millie and Sadie saying, "Hey. I hate to be annoying but do you guys have something like a salad or something? Normally I'd eat the pizza but I think the grease might mess with my stomach right now." Sadie said, "Oh! Yeah of course. I'm not eating the pizza tonight either. I was gonna make a salad anyways." She got up, motioning to Jess who followed. Jess sat down at a stool near the kitchen's island while Sadie rustled through the fridge to find her supplies for the salad. Jess thoughtlessly spun on the stool and said, "You need help?" Sadie shook her head saying, "No, no. You're the guest. How about you just make me something next time?" Jess said, "Okay. Deal." Sadie began cutting carrots and said, "So how was your first day being an official cast member of Stranger Things?" Jess said, "Umm...definitely really awesome. I feel so blessed. I mean I've been on a ton of sets but this is my first one that's got this level of production, ya know?" Sadie said, "Oh yeah. I mean for 'The Glass Castle', I was nervous but even then, the production wasn't that big. Stepping on to set for Stranger Things? A whole nother ball game." Jess said, "Exactly!" They could hear the others laughing in the room catching up as they opened the boxes of pizza. Jess pondered saying something and then decided to anyway. She said, "Okay. I know this sounds super weird but I think I know your cousin." Sadie raised her eyebrows and said, "Oh? Who?" Jess replied, "Zachary. I grew up with him." Sadie stopped cutting the veggies and said, "No way. How?" Jess said, "Well we went to the same preschool. His mom was my daycare teacher." Sadie nodded, a mixture of feelings on her face. Sadie said, "Yeah. Wow. I really wanted to go to the funeral but I was stuck in Atlanta filming last season." Jess said, "Yeah. I didn't even know you were related until Zack Attack mentioned it at the funeral." Jess looked up and said, "Sorry by the way. For bringing it up." Sadie smiled, a hint of sadness still there. She said, "No, no. I'm the one who mentioned the funeral. I think that's awesome that we have that connection!" She grabbed me a bowl of salad and handed it to me before grabbing her own and bringing us back into the room with everyone.

    The  room filled with laughter as they all talked about life, the show's ending and more. At some point, Noah took a swig of Jessie's drink and began coughing saying, "Ewww! Sadie's healthy carrot juice is disgusting!" Jess rolled her eyes and snatched the cup back saying, "It's because it's not healthy. There's vodka in here too! A lot of it actually." Noah's jaw dropped in embarrassment, everyone laughing. Jess rolled her eyes, shook her head and downed the rest to make sure she wasn't liable for any other minors consuming alcohol. At some point, Charlie, Natalia, Maya and Joe got up to meet up at a bar with David, Joseph, Jamie and Winona for more drinks. Natalia said, "Hey Jess. You wanna join?" Jess went to grab for her phone and Noah grabbed her arm, begging her, "Nooo. Please stay! We hardly know you, Jess. We wanna play games or something!" Jess hesitantly looks from the group of young adults to the group that was standing at the door. She bit her lip and took a deep breath. She sighed and said, "Okay, okay! I'll stay." The younger group cheered. She turned to the older group saying, "I'll catch you guys next time, yeah?" They smiled and said, "Okay!" Maya said, "You have your keys to the apartment right?" Jess smiled and nodded. Maya said, "Okay. Be safe, you crazy kiddos!" They all rolled their eyes saying, "Yes, mom!"