Chapter 22: Recovery

The first thing that Jess and Sadie had to decide was if they were going to go public with their relationship. The media was beginning to question their relationship because of how active Sadie and her family had been in coming to the hospital. After talking with both their managers and Sadie's family, Sadie sat with Jess in the room. Jess still wasn't strong enough to walk or hardly move, but she could sit through a conversation without dozing off. Sadie sat there bouncing her leg up and down. Jess said, "So what are you thinking?" Sadie took a deep breath and said, "I want it to be on our terms, you know?" Jess nodded as she continued, "But the thing is, the world doesn't quite want that." Jess said, "Well if we're not ready, we're not ready. And that's okay." Sadie responded, "But that's the thing, Jess. I want to show you off. I WANT the world to know how much I love you." Jess smiled and motioned her over as Sadie very gingerly laid her head on Jess's shoulder. Jess squeezed her tightly and whispered, "Hey Love. There's no pressure. I'm just lucky to have you here with me right now." She kissed her neck and Sadie squirmed with laughter. She said, "If I'm ready to go public, are you?" Jess kissed her again and said, "Oh hell yeah. As long as I have you, I'm ready for anything." Sadie turned her head and gave Jess a few kisses.

Then she grabbed her phone and began typing something. Finally, she put her phone away and Jess said, "What was that?" Sadie blushed and said, "Nothing...Check your instagram." Jess said, "Well my phone is across the room and I physically cannot grab it." Sadie shrugged and said, "I guess you'll just have to see." Jess retaliated by tickling her and Sadie laughed hard, allowing herself to deeply enjoy life for the first in weeks. Her laughter echoed down the halls and hearts of those nearby. Sadie didn't know it, but her mother wept just outside the room, grateful to hear her daughter's laugh once again. She sat there thanking God for Jess and for allowing Jess to still be in her daughter's life.

Once Jess had passed all her medical tests and was able to get back to eating and drinking without a feeding tube nor IV, people began to visit in the hoards. Even Finn and Millie flew back to Atlanta from England and France where they were each respectively filming. They all walked in with balloons, stuffed animals, cake and cards. Jess started having a coughing fit from being overwhelmed. Gaten quickly ran to her side and said, "Are you okay?!" Jess tried to catch her breath as she nodded. She cleared her throat and wearily said, "I'm sorry, guys. Just a little weak." Noah said, "No worries! How are you holding up?" Jess shifted slightly in her bed. Before she could answer, she caught sight of Maya walking in the door. Upon making eye contact, Maya immediately looked down at the ground, holding her arm. Jess answered Noah, "I'm hanging in there. Getting better little by little. Hey Maya," Maya looked up. "That's really how you're gonna treat an old friend?" Maya walked forward cautiously and tried to hold back but before she knew it, she was crying in Jess's arms. She said between sobs, "I...thought...I'd lo—lost you." Jess stroked her head and said, "Hey, hey, hey! I'm here now. I'm here. See? I'm all good." Maya slowed her crying and caught her breath. Jess said, "The docs said I wouldn't have made it without you." Maya wiped her eyes and said, "I think you still woulda. All I did was put pressure on your wounds." "Yeah, but they said without it, I could've died. So thank you." Caleb gave Maya a big hug, proud of her. Finally Millie broke the silence by saying, "Whoa! Sadie, your post has nearly 8 million likes! That's a new record!" Sadie said, "Oh shoot..." Jess said, "Which one?" Millie handed her phone to Jess and said, "See for yourself." Jess hadn't been on her phone since she first woke up. She figured there'd be a lot to sort through as a rising star who was hospitalized. So she had decided to put it off. She looked at the post. In it was a series of photos, one starting with a photo of her and Sadie when Jess had first woken up. They were both lying in Jess's bed, napping arm in arm and it was assumed that Lori must have snapped it while they were sleeping. Then there was one of them laughing in their PJs on the couch. The next was one of them on set sitting in their designated chairs, goofing around. Another was them holding hands on the roof. Then, there was one of their hands interlaced on a hospital bed and it must have been while Jess was still unconscious because the surroundings didn't look familiar to her. Finally, she read the caption and her eyes watered.

"I have good news: my girlfriend is awake. Yes. We beat the odds. 1. By her surviving. 2. By meeting the love of my life at work. Can't wait to do more of life together." Jess smiled, tears in her eyes. She motioned for Sadie to come over and said, "I can't wait to do life with you too." She leaned in and took a small kiss. The rest of the night was spent updating Jess on everyone's plans. Although overwhelming, Jess couldn't help but feel deep gratitude. She had a long ways to go but she knew she could do it with this team.