chapter 1

Nysa had to stifle a laugh as she threw out the box of things that her ex just gave back to her, it was completely shredded

Nysa had to stifle a laugh as she threw out the box of things that her ex just gave back to her, it was completely shredded. Nysa didn't even see the point of her ex even giving it back, all she had was a few pictures, bits of make up, an old hoodie that she didn't wear anymore and a few spare knickers. It wasn't like she was going to take any of that to Forks anyway so she didn't care that she ruined it all.

She was completing the last bits of her packing before her parents drove her to the airport. Her room was looking as bare as it has ever looked. Every frame had been slotted tightly into her suitcase, posters were flatted over clothes and her selected half a dozen of annotated books were in her carry on. She left most things here, though, knowing that her grandmother would have all necessities and everything else she would buy with the money her parents had given her.

Soft music filtered through the radio that sat on her window sill, her curtains billowing slightly from the soft breeze that came from the open window. The sunlight was golden here, as if Helios spent extra time on his chariot. It wasn't like anywhere else and Nysa would miss that. She would miss the way she could keep her curtains closed and still be awoken by the sunrise in time for school. She would miss how they lived so close to the beaches where she and her mother would sunbath on the weekends. She would miss when she and her dad would make the family dinner together every Friday which was the one day he got off work early. She would miss the times she would play mermaids with her brother after watching The Little Mermaid during the long summer days. She would miss how she and her friends learnt to surf after finally convincing her parents to buy her a board, it now becoming a tradition to go out on each of their birthdays.

But Nysa knew she had to leave, and she was okay with that.

"Mum, would you try fitting this in, please? I don't want to leave this jacket behind," Nysa exasperated, her nerves in her hands starting to pulse with pain at the strain she'd been putting them under.

She stepped away from the massive suitcase on her bed and opened her arms towards it, leaving the floor to her mum who was sitting on her desk chair.

"What happened to not wanting any of my help, hmm? Now you want to make use of your mother's magic powers?" She gloated but getting up happily with a satisfied grin.

"You don't have magic powers, you have have special Mum abilities," Nysa pointed, taking her mother's place as she started to roll up the jacket, somehow making it smaller than Nysa could ever have done.

"That, I do," she hummed, lifting up a pair of jeans to tuck away the jacket into the tiny bit of space. "There, magic," Mum said, flourishing her hands which caused Nysa to roll her eyes. "You'll learn too, soon I suspect since your living with Nani now."

"Yeah," Nysa muttered, getting up to close her suitcase. Closing the lid, she paused, nibbling at her lip. "She'll be okay right?"

"Oh baby," her mother tutted, getting up again to join her daughter at the bottom of her bed. She placed a tentative hand on her shoulder. "Your Nani will be fine, she just needs some help that's all. She's gotten old now, she can't do things as she used to."