chapter 8

It's pretty clear to imagine the look on Nani's face when she walked into the kitchen to see Nysa nose deep in her copy of The Witches of Eastwick

It's pretty clear to imagine the look on Nani's face when she walked into the kitchen to see Nysa nose deep in her copy of The Witches of Eastwick. Not only that, but her other hand was caressing the family necklace that she now wore, never daring to take it off even for a moment. So, when Nani saw her recently discovered descended sorceress of a granddaughter sitting on the kitchen table, she couldn't help but let out a sound that was eerily similar to that of a hyena's laugh. Nysa wasn't very happy with her for the rest of the night.

Not that she even got a chance to argue with her grandmother anyway as Nani pulled out various amount of herbs from her bag. Some in plastic bags, some in cloth pouches, others just a whole root.

"Nani - this all seems very incriminating in their little baggies an-"

"Idiot, don't make those jokes to me," she tutted, giving Nysa a side eye as she placed them onto the living room table.

"Sorry," she gulped, walking over quickly to help Nani. It was then when Nysa got a better look at Nani's harvests. Most of them were usual things used in Indian cooking, a root of ginger, ajwain seeds, bay leaves, mint leaves, green chilies and almonds. But there were other things too, rose petals, common moss, pine cones and salt. "Erm, Nani...what exactly is that?" she asked, looking at a very peculiar bag of red.

"Pigs blood," she said, so nonchalantly that it made Nysa gag. "Don't do that, you won't be able to drink it later."

"WHAT?" Nysa said, feeling her stomach roll. There was no way that Nysa would ever do that, she didn't care how desperate she was.

"Be quiet, I'm only joking. Now, come one before the cow's tongue's starts moving again," she said, grabbing a cushion off the sofa and taking a seat on the floor.

Nysa looked pale as she joined her Nani. Her hands were shaking as it dawned on her what they were going to do. She didn't know if she was even ready. Sure, she'd now read the spell book back to back countless times but doing a spell, doing magic was still so foreign. Hell, it still didn't even sound real. She knew she didn't exactly have a choice though, as Nani pointed to her bag where the Oath of the Moon was.

Nysa swallowed deeply as Nani flicked though the pages with familiarity, eyes darting quickly until she found what she was looking for, 'Levitation.' Nysa first read through was difficult
since it was written in Hindi which she could speak but not read as well. She got there in the end, however. Nysa knew the spell, eyes looking and recognising the words on the page.

Nani noticed her granddaughter's concentration, a proud smile coming onto her face when she saw the soft glow of the crystal around her neck. Jaya didn't think that this would come so naturally to her successor, but, she remembers how it did for her, she shouldn't have been surprised.

Nani pushed the book in front of Nysa and her granddaughters eyes looked up to her, awoken from that trace like state she seemed to be in moments ago. She looked nervous, doubting her inner core, her ability to do it. Nani smiled at her, nodding her head. She placed a hand on her chest, right where the necklace laid. "You can do this, meri jaan."