━ fourteen

-ˏˋ ━━━━━━━ ˊˎ-

taken.

SNOWFLAKES FIERCELY BIT at Florence's cheeks as she trekked through the forest and along the path that led to the shed where she prayed Josh was

The whole way she had been holding out the hope that whatever it was the had chased and almost killed Emily hadn't gotten to him.

She didn't know what she would do without him. After already thinking she had lost him once and completely shutting down, it became clear that she wouldn't be able to handle losing him for real.

She shook her head, attempting to shake away the fear that she would walk in the shed and find Josh dead, killed by the monster that lurked on the mountain.

A distance screech caused Florence to jump. With a sharp inhale, her hands found the gun in her waistband and pulled it free.

She took a quick glance around her and picked up her speed to continue on towards the shed with the remnants of the unsettlement the distant screech brought her.

Instead of allowing herself to be distracted by her pessimistic thoughts she focused on getting to Josh and staying as far away as possible from the creature in the forest.

The gun remained in hand, her knuckles turning white as she tightened her grip every time she felt her nerves spike.

Her anxiety crept up her spine, itching to overwhelm her along with her growing worries.

Worse-case scenarios swam around in synchronization with her pessimistic thoughts, causing her hands to tremble.

Having another panic attack was something Florence couldn't afford due to her blatant exposure and the lack of security she had.

Breaking down wasn't an option, so she swallowed the urge to let her anxieties and worries was over her.

She resorted to using the tactics she developed after she was diagnosed with panic disorder to calm herself down and avoid a panic attack.

She focused on a single objective — saving Josh. In addition to that, she took slow and deep breaths to settle the growing pit in her stomach.

Silently thanking her doctor who taught her the useful tactics, she continued along the path and eventually made it to the shed.

More than relieved to hear Josh mumbling to himself inside the shed, Florence pushed the gun back into the waistband of her pants.

She began inspecting Josh for any wounds that hadn't been there when she left only half an hour ago, luckily finding none.

"What are you doing back here? Me and Mike were having a sleepover." Josh asked her curiously upon her unexpected return.

Florence offered him a forced smile. "Mike went back to the lodge. That's where you and I are going."