Something Different

Something Different

Chapter One : Welcome Back

I paid the taxi man and grabbed my two suit cases and out my backpack over my shoulders. I thanked the old man for driving me and walked up the familiar driveway that was layered in pure white snow. My light brown boots crunching underneath every time I took a step. A cold breeze came past me and I shivered but managed to reach the door. I rang the doorbell and tucked my hands into my pockets. The door opened and I could immediately feel the warmth and smell the dinner from inside. My aunt, Maria, stood at the door with a big smile on her face.

"Mercedes!" She greeted with a hug. "Come in, you must be freezing!"

She pushed me inside muttering about the recent cold weather. I took off my boots and coat putting them away neatly and she guided my to the living room, siting me down on the couch by a fire. I could feel myself warming up as I snuggled into the blanket she wrapped around me.

"I was just cooking dinner. I'll go call everyone and tell them you're here." She said and went over to the staircase to yell up to my two cousins and uncle. She then went back into the kitchen to continue cooking. It wasn't long before feet came pounding down the stairs and my two little cousins Jamie and Sophie dove on the couch and cuddled me in two bear hugs. I smiled and hugged them back.

"Finally you're here!" Jamie said and I laughed at him.

"Excited are we?" He nodded and I let the two of them into the blankets with me.

For now on, I was going to live here in Burgess with my aunt and uncle. Why? Well, a couple years ago my mother died from cancer and my father got depressed. He didn't really treat me like a daughter anymore and that resulted into some drinking and abuse. I would try to hide the bruises and cuts but soon enough the police found out and I'm now relocating here since this is the only family I have left. My father wasn't the only one to be affected by my mother's death though. I started to cut myself and I'm not very proud of it. I am proud that I don't do it anymore. I still have loads of scares on my wrists though. Not to mention some bruises are still fading.

"Tomorrow we can have a snowball fight, like we use to!" Jamie said and Sophie laughed.

"Snow, snow, snow!" She said beaming at me. I ruffled her hair and nodded.

"Oh yeah, I forgot about how I would always kick your butt!" I teased tickling Jamie.

"S-stop!" He pleaded between giggles and I did when Uncle Nick came into the room. I stood up and he gave me a big bear hug, picking me up and spinning me around. He was very talkl and large so he seemed like a giant teddy bear to me.

"Hey Uncle Nick." I greeted as he put my down.

"How ya' doing kiddo?" He asked sitting in his arm chair as I sat back on the couch.

"I'm not a kid anymore. I'm seventeen." I complained blowing some stray hairs away from my face that came loose from my messy bon on the top of my head.

"But you are very short." He teased and I stuck out my tongue. Aunt Maria's voice came through calling everyone for dinner.

I felt very comfortable since I would visit every Christmas and summer holiday anyways. I knew where everything was and I was very close to my only family here. I sat down in my familiar seat and we all ate dinner together. It was weird since I always had to cook for myself back at my old home. All during dinner, Jamie told me about his adventure with the 'guardians' and all about them. With his imagination, he could write a book.

Afterwards, it was time to go to bed. And since my room wasn't ready, I was sleeping on the couch. I got changed into some blue pyjama bottoms and a white t-shirt. I put my phone and iPod on charge and decided to say goodnight to Sophie and Jamie. I went to Jamie's room and heard there voices talking. Well, Jamie was talking. All Sophie was saying was 'Bunny! Hop, hop, hop!'

"Knock, knock." I said opening the door and Jamie and Sophie beamed at me. I realized that it was really cold in Jamie's room and I crossed my arms where goose bumps were. "Jamie it's freezing in your room!"

"Blame Jack not me." He said pointing beside me. I looked to my left and saw no one there. I raised an eyebrow.

"What are you talking about?" I asked and Jamie frowned.

"Jack Frost. He's standing beside you. And Bunnymund is over there." He said pointing at the window. I nodded my head slowly.

"Well I just came to say goodnight. Erm... night Jack, night Bunny?" I said for the kids' sake.

"Night." Said Jamie and Sophie and I walked out of there room shaking my head. Sometimes I wish I could be a child again.

One thing did bug me though as I went to sleep. Why did the guardians sound so familiar? Bunny-something... I shook my head once again and drifted to sleep.

___________________________________

That's the first chapter ! :)

Mercedes can't see Jack though... :( but she will soon! And Bunnymund too! He's just so awesome. But Jack is the best. Why? Because he is Jack Frost of course!

...and attractive...

Anyways.........

Hope you liked it.

Ill post whenever I stop procrastinating and get my homework done and such.

Next chapter is going to be an epic snowball fight!

Bye bye tomatoes and oranges!

- Maddie :)