Chapter 1: Sani's Detour

My heart was beating so fast, that's all I could hear like an alarm right next to my ear drums. Adrenaline pumping, arms swinging quickly, my feet weren't even touching the pavement and I refused to look back. The rain poured, making me almost slip as I bust the corner.

" Nigga hurry the fuck up!" DJ hollered spit flying out of his mouth as he sat in the front seat, my other two mans jumped in the back of someone's Nissan that we picked up two days earlier.

"Young boul drive what the fuck-" I couldn't finish my sentence before shots were let off and a bullet pierced through the passenger seat window. The tires screeched against the street before pulling off.

" Yall niggas goin die this summer." I heard one of the pussies that we just got a lick off of yell as we left him with nothing but smoke in the air. Snatching the ski mask off my face I gulped up as much air as I could.

"What the fuck was that?" DJ yelled looking back at us. "Ahhh shit!" I looked over at Sani, noticing him clutching his chest as blood painted his Nike tech. " Yo pull over Sani got hit, hold on bro' we gonna drop you off," I shouted at DJ. "Ain't no pull over pussy push this shit to where we supposed to go." I shoved Kai while he kept looking out the back window. "Nigga I said Sani shot, hold on man." DJ looked in the rearview mirror, debating on who he should listen to. "Go the fucking spital' bro right at Temple," Kai spoke up, making DJ bust the sharpest left turn. " Hold on for me bro, it ain't that bad." I tried to convince and soothe Sani as he began to seize up. "Nigga help him!" Kai began to panic, making my heart rate pick up. "Pussy you can't fucking touch 'em' while he seizing." I felt my eyes begin to water watching Sani's mouth fill with spit and blood. "I'm right with you bro' we're almost there kid." I continued to coach Sani through his pain, he shook violently.

"DJ you not whipping this bitch, hurry the fuck up yo," I yelled out again, "hold on baby boy, give us five minutes kid, just five minutes." I turned back to Sani, his body laid still, head leaned against the window, hazel eyes wide open, mouth ajar. " Sani?" Again all I could hear was my heart beating, felt as if it was gonna jump out of my chest. I rubbed on it, hoping that would make my heart slow down.

"What happened? Yo, what happened?" Dj questioned glancing from the road to the back of the car. "He's dead bro," Kai answered, holding his head between his legs trying to catch the breath he never caught since he left his grandmother's block.

" Siah what am I doing yo? Siah where am I going?" DJ continued to question and panic as it rained harder against the windshield. "To the hospital dickhead." Kai answered for me, I sat in a trance still staring at my best friend since 3rd grade lying lifeless right next to me. All I could think was I promised him, I made a promise.

"Nigga I don't know about this, I got a bad feeling about this one." A'sani huffed out, having a worried look on his face. He twirled his nappy curls around his finger. "Bro we cool, everything planned out down to the T." I looked over at him, " nothing goin happen to you while I'm there and you know that, stop bitchin'." Giving more reassurance a smirk etched on my face, sticking my right hand out for him to dap up. "Ain't nobody bitchin' you know better." I chuckled at his statement as he slapped his left hand into mine, locking it together and letting go with a snap.

"Nah, we takin' him home." I pulled Sani's body into my lap, clutching onto his body rocking back and forth.

" What yo? We can't take him home, let's just bring him to the hospital man he's cool bro." DJ muffled out tears running down his chubby caramel face.

" He said we taking home, go head' yo." The only words Kai could get out before he stuck his head out the window and spilled what was left in his stomach.

I held onto Sani's body tightly still, closing his eyes for him, and wiping his mouth. Staring down at the floor, money spilled out of the duffle bag, covered in blood. All I could think was; Summer had just begun.

________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys, this is the first book that I have published. I love urban fiction and have been just a reader for many years ever since Wattpad was jumping back then with great books that disappeared and authors that left. I decided to write a book that gave me the same feelings that I got when I read those books. Having a connection with the characters and scrolling just for more, begging for updates, even laughing at the comments that were left. I'm gonna see how this goes! I am from Philly, some terms many won't know of but I will leave brief definitions after every chapter, I'm not sure if I want this book really based or surrounded by Philly, we'll see. 

PSA: This is a work of fiction. All characters and locations are a part of the author's imagination depicted from the author's reality. All Rights Reserved. 

1. young boul - someone younger than you. 

2. lick- robbing.