Misfortune

The bloodied horizon rose above the deep dead willows. The mudded earth creeping up my new leather boots made me angrier by the second. My sister walked beside me, her long dark hair draped across her face like an old-fashioned curtain, hiding her distasteful Russian uniform. She was completely drunk and useless, as always. I'm asking for more of that distasteful liquid every single second, putting my nerves into fight-or-flight mode.

"Edion, me want more to drink, momma's thirst."

Russian idiot, I couldn't tell if she was thirsty for alcohol or for her lust for men.

"Katrina, you're drunk," I yelled, my nerves out of tolerance.

"Hey, Ikm knot Thak Drank, Ikm knot in me muDar steege ket." She spoke in her rough Russian accent. I rolled my eyes, unnerving. I can't believe I have to be stuck in the woods with this poor excuse of a sister. Katrina (since she was the youngest) had no real purpose to my family and was immediately sent to Russia (because they would be getting money out of it) to become a weapon.

"Whatever that means," I said, curling one of my ruined golden ringlets around my gloved finger and not wanting to get my manicure ruined, well, doing so. I looked down at myself, totally embarrassed at my appearance. My golden hair didn't seem to gleam anymore, and my beautiful lavender dress was now mixed with lime green. I shuddered in disgust.

I was raised as a wealthy monarch ready to take the family name and my fortune, but I was denied it because of the accident of my horrid brother's birth. With the news of my brother, I soon joined the category of useless as well, thrown into a PME (Proper Marriage Estate) where we could be picked out like wild turkeys to feed a wealthy man's hunger. And I wasn't one to give up so easily with a mere commoner's wealth. I wanted the power meant to be mine and mine alone, even if my sister firmly refused because of her... desires.

"Edion, whear air whe gonin."

"I told you, but of course, you weren't listening; you are completely useless," I said firmly.

"Well, if ikm completely useless thayn a can do whatever a want!" She said it loudly. Making me erupt in shivers, knowing that Jayson could be close. He grew obsessed with the bounty my parents put out, offering half my "dowry" in exchange for bringing me back to the PME if my parents cared enough for that.

"Be quiet! I will never let you touch my silk sheets again if we get caught!"

"Whaht so great about your daran silkey sheats."

"Do you remember how soft they were and how you could easily seduce men with them?" She smiled at this greed glistening in her eyes, loving the idea of lust and money.

"Fine, but - Pratzal!" She screamed again. I put my hands over her mouth, grateful to be wearing gloves, but suddenly, I felt her tongue scrape against the satin. I pulled away quickly.

"You ruined my gloves! We aren't home anymore. I can't simply get new ones." They will never be the same with her drunken essence all over them!"

"How dare you! I want to take my ax and slack it through your throat!!" She just gave me this sly smile, knowing that I could never do such a thing; she is far too valuable, from her survival techniques to seductive distractions.

I shrugged it off, hoping we could pass a town soon with an excellent luxury hotel and a shower to let go of the filthy stench of the peasants around. A branch snapped behind me, swinging around my ax in front of me, ready for anything in sight. An arrow shot past me, hitting my sister in her shoulder and pinning her to the tree that stood by. I rushed to her out of instinct. Ripping it out of her skin, watching in horror as her blood started to pierce through my glove.

"Why must you always ruin everything!!!!" I screamed at her.

"Guess, a just do." She shrugged, not seeming to mind the pain.

"Finally, I found my prize." I turned towards the bounty hunter. His face was shaved to reveal a middle-aged man with disgusting red hair that didn't fit his muscular build.

"Ohhhh, can a be the prize to end your suffering? Ikm know Ikm really would!!!" She exclaimed, why did she have to be drunk and wounded right now, the perfect combination for a Russian assassin.

His face showed confusion, with mine following, but then a thought of delight crossed his image. "I'll be with you in a minute, darling." He smiled viciously. Raw meat and bone lodged stuck deep in his bloodthirsty gums. I felt like puking at his disgraceful hygiene, but my gloves were already ruined.

He raised his bow fast, shooting it towards me; I dodged it, barely making it up the tree trunk for cover. He shot more arrows as I ran across the rough branches. I was just about to make my move to jump right below him and pin him down, but before I could, the branch below me snapped. Before I could hit the ground, a dirty, solid hand gripped my throat. My ax was ripped out of my hand and was thrown towards my sister. My anger toppled at this act, but I was also impressed at how he could make such a motion so quickly. He held me high, making me see his faded green eyes. He was ruined from all the carnage he had experienced in his life. His rotting breath filled my nostrils.

"You should brush, darling; you smell like something from a privy chamber." He didn't seem to like the snazzy remark as he began crushing my neck. Blood stopped flowing as my vision blurred, and my eyes closed. He dropped me to the ground, not wanting to lose his bounty if he killed me thoroughly. He walked up to the tree where my sister lay drunk and bleeding.

"Hey, Sharky, coma here, kiss me." My sister spoke seductively. I should have just killed her; blood slowly began flowing back into my brain. He came close to her, gripping her hand against the tree and leaning his form against her. What I wasn't expecting was my ax plunging into his skull, releasing a light dribble of blood that met my loose fingertips. My sister's hand gripped the handle with a wicked smile. She pushed him to the ground as she dislodged my ax. She walked over to me, her hands on her hips as she swung my ax over her shoulder and mockingly said,

"Who's useless now, Edion!"