Chapter 6

Sweat threatens to smudge the makeup smeared across my eyes. My stomach grumbles. My legs ache, screaming at me to sit down. But I can't.

Since graduating from school last year, I have to work to earn a living. Even though I still live with my parents, they make me pay for everything. Clothes, books, even food, I need to earn the money myself.

Waitressing isn't all bad, though.

I never know who's going to walk through the door, which keeps me on my toes. There's always someone new to chat to, and I've gotten to know the regulars quite well. But the music...

The music is what gets me through the endless hours on my feet. Lyria is known as the City of Music, after all. It blasts out through the restaurant speakers, giving me something to hum along to whenever I'm feeling tired or bored.

"Table 5." Kev, one of the waiters, tells me as I'm wiping one of my tables clean. "There's this really cute guy sat over there. Blue hoodie. I think he's a genie. Do you want to check him out before I make my move?"

Usually, me and Kev swoon together over the guys who stroll into the restaurant. We've actually turned it into a bit of a competition. If one of us gets a date with a customer, the other has to buy a round of drinks. I've only bagged one date, but he's managed to get two.

Any other time, I would be jumping at the chance to chat up a new customer. I'm simply not interested today. Maybe if Kev had said he was a vampire, I would feel differently.

"He's all yours today." I reply.

"What's the matter with you?"

"Nothing." I pause. "I just... I met someone a few days ago."

"Oooo."

"But I was drunk. And the next morning he was just... gone."

"And you want to see him again?" Kev presses.

"I don't know how to find him again." I sigh, moving to put away the table sanitiser.

I don't want to share the note with anyone else. It feels oddly private, and despite being friends with all the staff here, I'm not close to any of them the same way I am with Faye. Besides, it's a challenge left for me to figure out, not anyone else.

"Cheer up, girl. There are plenty of fish in the sea."

"I guess." I reply flatly.

"So you don't even want to see what you're missing over in my section?"

"He's all yours." I encourage, putting on a smile.

"Well, it's your own fault if you end up paying for drinks later." He teases. I give him a quick chuckle, before he walks back to serve his tables.

Another customer waves me over to their table, asking for sauces.

As I work, my mind keeps wandering.

I consider my conversation with Kev. How much do I really want to see Ayden again? I wanted him for a one-night stand, and I got it. So why can't I get him out of my mind? Is his note really that important to uncode?

But my thoughts also keep slipping to Faye's job offer. It's such a ridiculous amount of money, that I'm actually tempted to do it. A thousand gold coins could buy me my own apartment, like Faye has. My own space. Not having to worry about bringing a guy home.

"Hey, lady! Over here!" A male voice calls, rudely interrupting my thoughts. It's getting late, and the restaurant is starting to empty out.

"How can I help you?" I ask the customer.

"This food is undercooked." He complains, shoving his plate towards my face. "I don't want to get food poisoning."

I take the food from him, keeping my face neutral, despite my internal annoyance.

"Would you like me to ask the kitchen to cook you another plate?" It's a ridiculous notion, when I can see absolutely nothing wrong with the plate of food I'm holding. Still, my job is about keeping the customers happy.

"I don't want to eat here anymore. Just get me the bill."

I bite back a snappy retort. "Of course. I'll be back in a minute."

Taking the plate into the kitchen, I swipe a few fries from the plate and shovel them into my mouth. There's no point wasting the entire meal while I'm hungry. Sighing, I dump the rest of the food into the bin.

Then I head over to the till and print the bill for the ungrateful customer, who grumbles the entire time he's paying.

I'm relieved when I see him stand up with his mates and head towards the door. On his way past me, however, I feel the sudden impact of his hand slapping my backside. It takes all my self-control to not give him a reaction. I refuse to give him the satisfaction of cowering from him. Or of making a scene.

Instead, I glare at his back as he laughs with his friends, slamming the door open.

If he weren't a customer in the restaurant, if it were a different situation, I would be giving him a piece of my mind. He thinks it's a joke. I think it's a violation. It's repulsively vulgar and obnoxiously disrespectful. I've never felt so objectified before.

I regret dumping the man's food in the bin. I should've tipped it over his head. Watched the ketchup stick to his hair, before sliding down his dumbfounded face. It would've been a magnificent photo.

My mind slips back to Faye's business propose.

I imagine the things I could've done if I knew self-defence. It certainly would've wiped the arrogance from him. And if he'd tried to do anything more than give me a slap... The police could teach me to stop him. To stop anyone doing that to me again.

Every day working at this restaurant isn't a dream come true. And after that treatment, I'm not so sure I want to be here anymore. Perhaps some time away could be good for me.

Author's notes:

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, but I promise I'm back now. I might miss the occasional week, but generally, keep looking out for a new chapter every Sunday.