Chapter 53: Preparing for the Assault

With the information that was just shared with the group from Tio, the group decides to get back in Hajime's armored jeep and make their way back to Ur. Now that both Tio and Will are also in the vehicle, there is very little room inside of it. As a result Yue has resorted to sitting on Hajime's lap, which Zane thinks is rather dangerous since Hajime is the one driving. Mrs. Hatayama and Shea are also in the front with them.

In the back, Zane finds himself once again sandwiched between Nana and the door. This time the two of them are squished together even tighter than before. Zane is guessing the reason for this is the extra person that is now riding in the back.

The group makes it back to Ur without too much difficulty. Once they have made it back, Mrs. Hatayama's students all head out to go and warn the people about the impending attack. Zane joins them in this endeavor as he has grown to like the town of Ur and wants to protect its people.

As Zane is more familiar with the people in the town he asks Nana and Yuka to direct the flow of people on the streets of the town as they are evacuating the town. Meanwhile, Zane, Taeko, Itsushi, Noboru, and Akito go around from house to house to warn the people in town.

During this entire process, Will heads to the city hall building to go and warn the mayor of Ur about the impending attack. Once the mayor has been warned of the attack, he also has people go out to help warn the town and to try and get as many people to safety as possible.

While Zane and the other students are busy trying to evacuate the town, Mrs. Hatayama and the mayor meet with Hajime and his group. Yuka decides to stop helping with the evacuation to attend this meeting. She claims that it is to act as a bodyguard for Mrs. Hatayama. Zane is guessing that Yuka has some alternative motivation for wanting to do this though.

Mrs. Hatayama says to Hajime as they are sitting at a table, "Please Nagumo. There must be something that you can do for us. Without your help those creatures will destroy the entire town, and hundreds of innocent lives will be lost."

"That's unexpected," Hajime replies. He then continues by saying, "I thought you prioritized the safety of your students above all else, but now you are asking one of them to put his life on the line. For a bunch of strangers."

After being caught off guard by this statement, Mrs. Hatayama replies, "Of course, as a teacher, I should always put my students first. That said, I don't want to cast aside the many people of this world who I have come to know and respect. I know that I wasn't there for you when you needed me the most, so these words may not mean very much to you. But I will say them anyway. Nagumo, I do not want your life to be an empty one. And it will be if you forget how to care about other people.

Hajime replies, "Ms. Aiko, no matter what happens, you'll still be my teacher, right?"

Mrs. Hatayama replies, "Yes, always."

"No matter what decision I might make. Even if it is the opposite of what you would've wanted?" Hajime says.

"That's right. Provided that you listened carefully to what I had to say to you before you arrived at your decision," Mrs. Hatayama replies.

At this point Hajime stands up. He then begins to walk away from the group. This causes Mrs. Hatayama to ask, "Uh, where are you going?"

Hajime replies, "There is an army headed this way. I should probably start getting ready for them."

Hearing this Mrs. Hatayama asks excitedly, "So you'll help us?"

"Only because my teacher told me to," Hajime replies.

At this point, Hajime goes around Ur and begins to use his transmute skill to create large barricades that will protect the city from the impending attack. These are basically just walls that face the Northern Mountain Range. He has to do this, while Tio is constantly following him around trying to get his attention. When Hajime ignores her, this only causes Tio to grow more excited.