Chapter 26

As soon as the sun's rays lit their way past the curtain covering the glass window, Layla woke. At first, she was confused. Confused as to where she was.

 The softness of the bed, the warmth of a blanket, and the comfort cushioning her head were something she had always dreamed about. But as her mind caught up with her body, she realised that her dream had, in fact, come true. This was her room.

Layla couldn't help the large smile from decorating her face as she excitedly jumped up from her bed, her blankets falling around her like waves.

This! This was her room. Hers.

Layla ran a hand through her knotty brown hair, stopping when her fingers got stuck halfway. Instead, she decided she'd get up and make her new foster mother breakfast. This way Mrs Williams would know how much Layla really appreciated her for taking her in. So Layla stepped over to the side of her bed, jumped down from the height, and went straight to the open wooden door.

She tip-toed silently around the upper floors until she reached the mahogany stairs, where she quietly went down to the bottom floor. As she entered the kitchen, she could immediately smell something delicious. Layla's eyes found themselves connecting with warm honey-brown eyes.

"Oh, good morning Layla! I wasn't expecting you to be up quite yet," Mrs Williams's soothing voice spoke.

"Oh, um, I'm always up at this time," Layla mumbled back.

"That's all good; how about you come sit on the stool, and I'll make you some breakfast,"

Layla nodded her head unsurely. She began walking over to the bench before asking, "did..did you want me to make you breakfast?"

Layla pressed her fingers into each other, hoping Mrs Williams would agree so that she could start getting into a similar routine from back at her other home.

At least if she were to have a similar routine, then she'd know how to behave and know what to expect. But as she looked at Mrs Williams, a small frown creased her forehead.

"Thank you for offering, Layla, but I'm more than willing to cook for you."

Layla again nodded her head and sat down on the wooden stool. She silently watched as her foster mother worked around the kitchen as she cooked scrambled eggs. 

"So why would you normally be up so early before school, Layla," Mrs Williams asked.

"I used to cook breakfast for Daniella and Jackson," Layla responded nonchalantly. Mrs Williams looked a little surprised by that.

"Oh, do enjoy cooking?" Mrs Williams responded back with.

"Um, sometimes I do enjoy it, sometimes I don't really," Layla replied honestly.

"Oh, did they have you cook all the time for them?"

"Yeah, it was one of my chores," Layla shuddered. She began picking at the end of her pajama sleeve, feeling a little agitated thinking about her punishments.

Mrs Williams must have sensed her unease as she smiled brightly at the girl, "well, if you ever want to help me in the kitchen in the future, sweetheart, you are more than welcomed to, but you don't have to, okay? It's not forced."

Layla smiled slightly and nodded her head.

"Okay, breakfast is ready."

Mrs Williams dishes up four servings of scrambled eggs on toast, with some cheese on top. Layla helped Mrs Williams by carrying out two seats of plates onto the dining room table.

Layla was left standing as Mrs Williams called to the boys upstairs that breakfast was ready. Seconds later two footsteps began making their way down the stairs. It only took a couple more seconds before two towering men stepped into the dining room. 

Mrs Williams came over towards Layla, placing a comforting arm around her shoulder. 

"Good morning, boys," Mrs Williams started before turning to Layla's wide eyes as she tried to reassure herself that they were harmless, "Layla, this here on the left is my husband, Kieran, and the boy on my right Tyrus." 

Layla realised the boy on the right, Mrs Williams son, looked exactly like her with her brown hair, and honey brown eyes. Though both men had small smiles on her face to make her feel welcomed. Layla waved shyly at the two of them who both widened their smiles and waved back. 

"It's nice to meet you, Layla, you can call me Kieran, young one," Mr Williams responded. Layla nodded her head, as Tyrus then began to speak. 

"It's nice to meet you too Layla, I've heard so much already about you," Tyrus gave her a nod. 

"Right! Lets start eating before it goes cold!" Mrs Williams announced after a couple of seconds. 

Layla was led over to the dining room table, where she sat down next to Mrs Williams. Layla watched silently as the family began to pile food onto their plates, though Layla sat silently, waiting. 

"Do you want me to put some food onto your plate, or would you like to do it?" Mrs Williams asked Layla discreetly. 

"Am...am I allowed to have some food?" Layla asked unsurely, "I'm okay with some bread if you want".

Mrs Williams shook her head. 

"No, sweetheart. You are allowed all of the meals that we have, okay? You will get to eat with us, eat whenever you want, okay?" 

Layla nodded her head and cautiously began scooping some eggs onto her plate. 

..................................

After breakfast, both Layla and Mrs Williams found themselves in the loungeroom, both of them sitting on the beige couch facing the flat screen tv. The tv stretched across the majority of the room and was currently watching a movie called Brave.

Layla found herself relaxing back on the couch, shuffling towards Mrs Williams, who didn't hesitate to put an arm around her.

It had been a long long time since she had last been this comfortable, this relaxed. Layla found her head leaning against Mrs Williams's side as her arm enveloped her body, causing her to snuggle into Mrs Williams.

Layla was only half watching the movie, instead focusing on the events these past few days and how she had felt safe in all of the environments, she was put in with the lady she was leaning on. Even after meeting Mr Williams or how he liked to be called Kieran, she felt a small part of her wanting to reach out and hug him. To have that fatherly bond she had always wanted.

Layla slowly looked up at Mrs Williams, rubbing her heavy eyelids, Mrs Williams's other hand started caressing her hair as she hummed, "go to sleep, little one. I'll be here when you wake. You look exhausted".

Layla found herself nodding and turning back to the tv with the fiery red-headed girl.

She wasn't sure when, or how but at some point, her eyes began to close, and she fell into a small slumber, her body finally at ease. Finally, resting without the fear of being hurt. 

.........................................................

Thank you so much for reading, for commenting and voting on my story! You are the reason I continue to update aha. Hope you enjoyed the chapter! And thank you for 1000 votes!!

Words: 1185 
Published: 27/10/22