Chapter Nine

"You're not serious right?" I asked, kind of stunned. "My only other relatives are in Massachusetts, on the other side of the country?! Not a snowball's chance in hell, no way. I’m staying in California."  We were talking with the social worker about what to do with me. It was mostly a conversation between Austin’s parents and Kellin. No one was really considering what I wanted and what I needed.

"We're doing what's best for you here." Kellin said. "You need a stable, loving home and-"

"And I already have that here. I don't need to move across the goddamn country to find that." I snapped.

"We're just trying to help you-"

"If you really wanted to help me, you'd ask me what I want instead of assuming you know."

Kellin rubbed his forehead and let out an exasperated sigh. I knew I was being difficult but I didn't really care. Even if I was still furious with Austin, I wasn’t moving so far away we'd need a computer to see each other. I was too in love with him to let that happen. "If I didn't have your best interests at heart, I wouldn’t be here.”

“But you’re not listening to him.” Austin said. “Ask him if he wants to move, don’t just tell him. It’s his life, not yours. So don’t tell him what to do.” Kellin looked at Austin.

"He's actually right." I said  glancing from Austin to Kellin to Austin's parents. "You're all just assuming that you know what I want when in reality you have no idea. Can I please have some time to think about this before we jump into a decision?” Kellin nodded.

“I’ll see you all soon. But keep in mind, even when you do decide what you want, I can't guarantee we'll be able to make it happen that way.”  He said, packing up his things and getting up. I thought I heard him whisper something about ‘ignorant teenagers’ on his way out, but I brushed it off. Once he was gone, Austin's parents shared a look. I couldn't put my finger on what the look was about. “Do you two mind if we leave you alone for a minute? We need to... have a little talk about what’s going to happen.” I nodded and they got up to leave.

“Alan...can you please just listen to me?” Austin asked. I didn’t respond. “Please. I’m sorry. I was angry and I didn’t know what else to say. It just came out. I’m so sorry.”

I bit the inside of my cheek and glanced at him from the corner of my eye. “I’m less angry than I was before. But I’m still really pissed off at you.”

Just when I said that, Austin’s dad opened the door a bit. “Austin? Can we talk to you for a bit?”

[Austin’s P.O.V.]

“Yeah sure, of course,” I replied, standing up from my seat and giving Alan an apologetic smile. I walked out of the room, my father shutting the door behind me, and both my parents looked at eachother, then my mum nodded to my dad, encouraging him to do the speaking.

“Austin, how would you feel about us offering to have Alan live with us? Of course it would take a while, but it is possible, and -” I cut my dad off, a smile already widespread across my face.

“I’d love it, it’s Alan you have to worry about!”

“Oh and Austin, don’t mention it to Alan until we discuss it with Kellin, alright? We don’t want to get his hopes up if we can’t...”

“Yeah, alright, but... what if he can’t stay?”

“Then he moves to Massachusetts.” Mum said.

“No, I won’t let that happen.” I said, a bite in my tone that I felt bad about.

“It’s the law, Austin, we don’t get a say.”