Chapter 17 - The Favor

"What is this thing!"

Peter heaved and grunted, breathing hard. The plastic wrapped, massive bundle strapped to his back was held by a nylon rope he had looped over his shoulder. He was struggling his way up the third and last flight of stairs on the way to my room.

And perhaps he was exaggerating a bit.  Maybe. It was almost bigger than he was.

I walked backwards in front of him up the stairs, grinning like a loon and occasionally swiping at his forehead, as I watched a few beads of sweat almost roll in his eyes.

"This is your fee for my services."

"I'm not sure....gasp....but I think I ...gasp...got ripped off!"

I laughed.

Peter was fun to torture. I gave him that comprehensive tour of campus last week, including the unseen senior mezzanine in the cafeteria, that only those in the know could enjoy. It wasn't my fault he offered a favor in return. So now I'm cashing in.

It was a heavy favor.

Miko and Ginny were laughing like kids when I told them my story about how I met Peter, and his nickname. They held hands and glanced at each other when I told them how nice he was. I wasn't ready to share Mabel's journal yet, but they knew about my dad's letter.

After dinner, Ginny held my hand and asked me if I liked Peter. Honestly, I told her that I thought he was attractive, and the attention felt nice, but I wasn't sure yet if I liked him. I didn't know him.

She gave me a squeeze, and told me that like all good things, if I give it some time and attention, I'll eventually find out if he's a thistle or a shade tree. She kissed my cheek and told me that advice applied to both Tom and Peter.

"Bloody Hell...Janey, you've killed me."

Peter tottered over the threshold of my room and dropped the massively wrapped bulky object in the center, then fell on top of it, draping himself in a sacrificial swoon, one golden arm shading his eyes.

He really was breathing hard, and the sweat was real. Did I ask too much? Frowning, I wondered if he was going to be alright.

I grabbed a Snapple out of my small refrigerator and held it out to him.

"I'm sorry, Peter, I didn't realize it was going to be such a hassle, are you alright? I suppose I owe you another favor."

He immediately sat up, popped the lid, drank the whole bottle in a long continued swallow. Smacked his lips and showed me that damn dimple with a beatific smile

I chuffed, and rolled my eyes. Noted, Peter was a deceitful ass.

Then he turned and tossed the bottle In a graceful arc directly into my trashcan.  "Well in that case, I need to think of something good!"

All traces of victimhood gone, he poked at the lump he was lounging on.

"What is this anyway?"

I gave up on my sour mood. "It's a futon mattress! Help me unroll it."

"A what? Why do you need a mattress? You already have a bed."

"I know... " I turned and opened my biggest window and pointed out to the flat rooftop. "But my roof needs a napping spot! Help me with one more heave?"

He brightened. 

"You know since I helped bring this up, I should get rights to it, too! What if I want to take an outdoor siesta!

I rolled my eyes.

"Sure thing Dunny, if you can get up here... help yourself!"

He ignored my dig, and shoved the bundle through the window, pulled out a pocketknife from his cargo shorts, split the plastic wrapping, and unfolded the mattress. He immediately splayed out on it like a starfish, sighing contentedly.

"This was a smashing idea, Just Janey.. I think I'll take a nap now!"

Climbing through the window, I threw my self at him. "Get off!! It's my new spot! It's not ready yet."

I poked and shoved, trying to roll him off, but it was like trying to roll a sleeping boulder uphill until I stuck my thumb in his ribs. That did it! He yelped and bounced up and off the futon, and settled again with his arms over his knees.

Noted. Peter had a ticklish spot.

"I need to add a coverlet, and get a tarp to protect it when the weather turns. I want to put plants out here, and get some of those white twinkle lights. Maybe some pillows, and a storage chest! Do you think an umbrella would be noticeable from the ground?"

Peter looked at me oddly, he had a little smirk on his face.

"You've thought about this quite a bit, won't you get chilled? I heard winter is vicious in these parts."

"That's what blankets are for, dufus! However, I do wish it was in the trees, but this will have to do."

Peter's face softened. "You like the woods?"

"I love the forest, it's my most favorite place in the whole world. Trees are my people, but it's been a long time since I've been able to find some wild places."

His eyes widened.

"I think I know my next favor! You're going to be my hiking partner. I need somebody to carry all my shit when I go trail hunting, and I have a truck! We can go find some wild places, and you can see your people. I love trees too, and where I was in California, didn't have many. My uncle was always busy, but when I was a kid he took me camping every summer. We'd go to the Redwoods or Sequoia National Park. Now those are some trees..."

Peter stopped, and realized he was rambling.

"Wait a minute... you want me to carry all your shit?!"

"Well, yeah... you offered a favor, and I think I put a hip out hauling this thing up the stairs..." Loudly groaning, he put a hand on his back, arching and twisting. He warbled a wail that ended in a pitiful whine.

"But you'll take me hiking with you? Can I help you find the trails?" My smart mouth had disappeared in favor of honesty. I really really wanted to go hiking.

Peter stood up, all traces of humor gone. A sweet smile on his face.  "Absolutely, Janey. I wouldn't want to go with anyone else."

He held a hand out to me and pulled me up off the futon where I'd been kneeling. And this time I was the one with the radiant smile.