06. touchè

DANTE'S POV

       I cowardly avoided Samantha's angry glare. Her nostrils flared out as she breathed heavily, a frown upon her scarlet lips.

"You just had to embarrass us in front of the representatives from Wilmary's Fashion Enterprises, huh?" She snapped. I finally looked up and found her staring at me with her hands on her hips in a sassy manner—cute. "Are you even listening?"

My eyes flickered back to her blue orbs. "I'm sorry, I just did not like your proximity with that man."

"His name is Brian," she replied and I felt an ache in my heart. "And he is the father of the child I lost. I was only trying to tell him about his unborn baby because he has the right to know, but now he won't even talk to me."

Fuck, fuck, fuck. I had messed up badly.

I looked away from her angry eyes. She had the right to be mad, but I could not help myself from being scared. What if the knowledge of this child only brought them closer?

"Look, I am sorry," I said as I looked up. "I am just worried you are going to go back to his arms."

"Dante, I have told you already, I am not leaving leaving your side," Samantha replied.

       Her eyes told me that she was being honest and that sent a wash of relief over me. However, the thoughts of my wrongdoings bitter my soul again.

       Would she still stay if she knew all that I have kept from her? All the truths that I was shielding her from?

"Dante are you even listening to me?" Samantha snapped and I was brought out of my thoughts.

"Yes, yes love," I nodded but my mind was filled with negative thoughts. My demons were eating me alive and I could not stop them.

       I heard Samantha's heels clicking against the marble floor as she made her way toward me. She wrapped her frail arms around me and rested her chin on my shoulder.

       "I promise that whenever I have to work with Brian, which I have to because he is one of your employees as am I, I will keep it strictly professional." Samantha said as she tried to calm my tense nerves. "I chose you Dante and in a few months I will be your wife. For better or for worse, I will be yours."

       I wanted to believe her, but something inside me knew that she would never love me the way she loved him.

       "I am sorry cara mia (my dear)," I grabbed Samantha's slim hand and placed a kiss on the back of it. "I won't do it again, you have my word."

       Samantha smiled at me grateful with the change in my demeanor. I forced a smile and gently patted her hand which was still in my grip.

       "I will have a talk with the representatives of Wilmary's Fashion Enterprises and have them return tomorrow," I assured. "This time I won't let my jealousy get the best of me."

       "Thank you," she whispered as she kissed my cheek. "Will I see you for dinner?"

       I nodded my head. "I will see you then. Now go and rest, my love."

       Samantha pecked my lips and stepped out of the office. I watched as she closed the door behind her and let out the breathe I did not even know I was holding.

       I reached over to my wire phone and dialed the number of the front desk for the floor I was in. Lilian, my head receptionist quickly picked up in the matter of seconds.

       "What may I do for you Mr Villanueva?" She asked in a professional manner.

       "Have Mr Knight come to my office," I said. "And tell him it is urgent."

       "Yes, sir," she replied before hanging up the call. I leaned into my chair and placed my hands together.

       Samantha could assure me numerous times, but I had to make sure that Brian would also keep his distance from her. I could not allow for them to get close again.

       "You called for me sir?" Brian peeked his head into my office and I motioned him to step inside.

       I examined him closely. He was tall with wavy brown locks and matching chocolate brown eyes. Despite his poker face, he looked innocent. Definitely not a man who had killed nor harmed anyone. Definitely not a man like me.

       I could see why Samantha was attracted to him. His aura offered warmth and security. He was the complete opposite of me. He represented everything good, while I—I represented everything bad. He awaited for me patiently and I cleared my throat.

        "I wanted to apologize for my outburst from earlier," I said trying to remain calm and poise. I was not one to apologize for protecting what was mine, but I knew that Samantha would want me to. For her, I'd do anything.

       "There is no need, sir. I was the one to overstep my boundaries," Brian quickly replied. I clenched my jaw as I bit down roughly on my cheek.

       I was expecting an outburst from him, but no, he was as calm as could be. It annoyed me. I hated everything about him already.

       "Nonetheless, as the head of this company I should have refrained myself," I replied as I curled my hands into a tight fist. "I am aware that my fiancé and you have a romantic history, hence my jealous spurge."

       "I assure sir that I do not hold any feelings for Ms Moretti anymore," Brian's jaw clenched slightly. He was lying. "If you would like I could resign my position or I could placed at another facility?"

       Goody-two shoes. I held back the urge to scoff at his little innocent behavior.

       I shook my head. "That will not be necessary. I trust that you respect the boundaries between you and Samantha?"

       "I promise to uphold a strictly professional relationship with her," Brian promised.

"Good," I forced a smile as I stood up and stretched my arm toward him. "I look forward to working with you Mr Knight."

"Likewise Mr Villanueva," Brian replied as he gave my hand a slightly hard squeeze before pulling away.

Something told me he was not going to back down so easily.

Author's Note Did you guys think their would be a super, frantic showdown between Dante and Brian? There will be, but not today

Author's Note
Did you guys think their would be a super, frantic showdown between Dante and Brian? There will be, but not today. Dante is going back to his old toxic ways a bit, but will he be able to redeem himself? Let me know your thoughts in the comments and any predictions for future chapters to come. Thank you all for reading my lovelies. I'll see you next week with another update! Adios!
Xoxo, Liz 💋💋💋

Song: El Malo - Aventura