11. don't take it personal

HIS POV

      "What's going on here?!"

Samantha and I turned to the familiar female voice. Standing near the door was Eloise with her lips pressed together in a hard line.

Oh, God. Why now?

Her eyes glanced between Samantha and me. She did not seemed to pleased with our proximity. I looked up at Samantha, who only smirked and straighten her back out.

"Get the hell away from my boyfriend!" Eloise barked.

Boyfriend? I stared at Eloise with furrowed brows. Samantha seemed confused as well, but then her expression was replaced with a hard scowl.

"Did you just scream at me?" Samantha raised a brow as she crossed her arms over her chest. Eloise looked scared as Samantha stalked toward her. "Let me remind you that my fiancé owns this building. As his future-wife, I can easily have you escorted out of here and make sure you never step foot into this building again."

Future-wife. I tried my best not to let her words hurt me, but it was to no vain.

       "I do not care i-"

       I rushed over to Eloise and covered her mouth before she could say anything that would send Samantha off the end.

        "Could I please have a few moments to speak with my friend and then we can get back to reviewing the photos?" I asked Samantha. Her blue eyes fell to the hand that was placed over Eloise's shoulder. A glint of hurt flashed through her eyes before she masked her feelings.

       The slight chime of a phone filled the silence and Samantha pulled out her cellular device. She frowned upon reading the text message.

       "Just send the photos to me and I will review them later. I have to leave anyway," she answered coldly.

       Before I could protest, she pushed past Eloise and walked out of the office. I mentally face-palmed myself in frustration. It was always one step forward and two steps back with her.

       "Did the moment we shared two-nights again mean nothing to you?" Eloise scoffed.

       "What happened two—Oh," realization hit me as I remembered that kiss we had shared at the club. Guilt immediately consumed me as I looked over at Eloise and her hurt-filled expression.

"Brian, I know that I have always been just Dudley's little sister to you, but I have liked you ever since I met you," Eloise sighed. "That night was special to me and I had hoped it would be special for you, too."

       She looked up at me with a watery gaze. Her glossy hazel green eyes made the guilt stronger. Had one kiss really meant that much to her?

       My mind drifted to Samantha's words.

       "As his future-wife, I can easily have you escorted out of here..."

       His future-wife. She was to be wed to that bastard. She chose him and I had to move on. My mind returned to the red-head in front of me.