24. runaway

HER POV

I looked down at the phone that kept vibrating against the wooden table. I heaved a sigh as I picked up the phone and ended the incoming call. I picked up the burner phone I purchased after leaving the Villanueva mansion and dialed Brian's phone.

"Hello?" His soft voice brought a smile to my lips.

"Hey my love," I replied. "I wanted to call you to let you know when I will be returning. Things got more complicated."

"What happened? Are you alright?" Brian immediately sounded alarm and I was touched by his caring attitude.

"Umm... I found out that Dante not only kept your second visit from me, but that he also had a deal with Derek," I said as I tried to not let the anger arise.

"What deal?"

"Dante not only knew that you arrived to London a second time, but he also knew that you were going to p-propose," I explained. "I overheard Derek and him talking. Dante was supposed to offer us his protection and let me be with you, but instead he decided not to."

"That asshole," Brian mumbled.

"I left the mansion because I could not stay there a second longer, but I can't return to you just yet. Santos' men are still after us and it wouldn't be safe," I replied.

"Where will you be staying?"

I looked down at my other phone. "I have an old acquaintance. I promise I'll keep you updated, but for now I can't say more."

I could hear Brian's heavy sigh. "I understand. As long as you are safe, my love."

"I will," I promised as I looked out the cafe's door and noticed a familiar face. "I have to go now, but I'll call you back when I can."

"Alright, my love. Bye."

"Bye," I whispered before ending the call.

       "It's been a long time," Bernard said as he approached me. As always, he wore a warm smile despite his tough exterior.

       "Thank you for doing me this favor," I said as I stood up and gave him a hug. "I am assuming Antonio was not so pleased with having me stay the night?"

"Actually, the opposite. After he realized that he would be helping the future bride of Dante Villanueva, he was eager to render his aid," Bernard explained.

"Of course he did," I chuckled. "Well, let's get going then."

Bernard followed me out of the cafe. He opened the door for me when we reached his car and began the drive back to Antonio's Strip Club.

"So, I am assuming that Mr Villanueva was the reason you needed that passport six months ago?" Bernard lifted a brow as he focused on the road.

"Yes," I replied. "Dante is always finding a way to mess up my life."

"Then why are you marrying him?"

I leaned my head on the window. "Because I owed him, or at least I thought I did."

"You have a really complicated life Sammy."

"Tell me about it," I sighed.

We continued the rest of the trip in silence until we reached the all too familiar rundown building. Antonio's Bar & Strip Club was written over a rusted piece of metal that had washed down paint on the background.