chapter sixteen

we are so sorry for the long wait, i know it's been a long ish time so here's a little surprise update because we've been gone for a while! again so so sorry hope u enjoy this one! <3  (recommend u refresh your memory a bit a read chapter 15 again lol) 

--

Three days later

"Dee, your phone is ringing."

I turn to look at Val before pulling myself out of the pool and returning my attention to my phone, which has been buzzing repeatedly. My brows furrow in surprise as I read the name of the person who's calling me: it's Leah. My landlord. In case it's something urgent, I pick up the phone right away. "Leah? Is everything okay?" I grab a towel, wrapping it around myself and sitting down on one of the pool chairs.

"Hi, Dee! I'm calling because I thought you might want to know that someone has been repeatedly knocking on your door. One of the residents on your floor filed a complaint saying that they have been showing up during the early hours of the morning and coming back late at night. Are you waiting on or expecting someone?"

I stare at the ground in confusion, unsure of who would be showing up at my door. Everybody who would usually be coming to my apartment is with me right now, meaning it's not them.

"Hm, I'm not sure who the person could be. I'm actually away right now, and if it was someone who I'm close with, I'm sure they would know I'm not home at the moment."

Val knits her eyebrows together, mouthing, "what's this about?" I brush it off, mouthing back to her that I'll tell her later.

"I don't know, Dee. If you could figure out who it is and give them a call, that would be great, but if you can't figure out who it is, you should probably head home. It's been going on for three days, and although it doesn't seem like a lot, a disruption to others living in the apartment could result in the loss of your lease. I'm really sorry Honey, I don't make the rules, just enforce them."

I take Leah's words in and start to panic. "Thank you for letting me know, I'll be home soon."

"Be home soon? What happened?" Val comes rushing over, sitting down next to me.

"It was Leah. She said that someone has been showing up at my door knocking, causing a disruption to everyone on my floor," I sigh. "If I don't figure out who it is and make them stop, I have to go home or else my apartment can get taken away." Tears fill my eyes as I get angrier and more overwhelmed - whenever I'm in a high-pressure situation, I cry out of not knowing what to do.

"Oh, babe. I'm sorry. Once we find out who it is, I'll make sure they'll never do something like this again. Do you have any ideas as to who it might be?" She readjusts her towel.

"I'm not sure. The only person who knows where I live other than you guys is...Harry. Fuck." My head hangs low as I realize that he's most likely the person doing it, probably trying to get me evicted.

"Can you call him and ask?" She blinks slowly, waiting to see my reaction.

"Yeah, I guess," I answer, looking down at my phone and dialing Harry's number, waiting for the ringing to start. "Harry?"

"Who is this?" He can't act like he doesn't know who I am, I saw my contact saved in his phone.

"It's me. I know you know who I am," I counter back.

"Who's 'me?' I don't know who you are," he says condescendingly.

"Cut the bullshit. It's Dee. Stop showing up at my apartment."