Chapter 9

—after school—

I'm not sure if Finney told her about what happened between us. "Donna, Donna. Mm mm mwa mwa. Oh Finney, will you be my lab partner." He just laughs as she keeps making kissing noises.

"Stop it you jerk" they both laugh together. I guess she thinks he still likes Donna. Wait, does he?

"Alright see you tomorrow" she says as she is about to turn into a separate path. "Where you going?" Finn asks. "I'm staying over at Susie's tonight, it's friday so.." she pauses.

"I'll look after dad" he says as he lifts his bag strap over his shoulder. "See you kid" she smiles as she walks down the narrow path.

We were walking down the street alone as everyone around us was splitting up into their separate ways. "You're quiet" he laughs. "Mhm" I reply as I clip my walkman to the waistband of my jeans before putting on my headphones and blasting creep by Radiohead.

"Whatever makes you happy

Whatever you want

You're so fucking special

I wish I was special"

We slowly approach a black van parked in front of a driveway, the engine was still running.

Suddenly a man walks out from the other side of the van and drops his groceries along with his hat. I paused my music before hanging my headphones around my neck.

"Oh god" He yelps before bursting into laughter. "Well isn't that just peachy keen?" He laughs as he crouches over his dropped groceries.

"You need some help?" I ask as we both stand in front of the stranger. The man just laughs "You saw that?" He says as he continues laughing.

"Yeah" Finn replies a bit shy. The man raises a cracked egg, letting the egg white leak before shaking it and throwing it away from him. He then points at his hat. "Would you hand me my hat?" Finn bends down to pick it up.

"Yes sir" he says as he gets back up and puts on his hat. "I, am a part time magician." He says as he adjusts his hat on his head. "Would you like to see a magic trick?" He asks as he shakes a can. "Yeah" Finn says nervously smiling. "Yeah?" He continues shaking the can.

"Are those black balloons in there?" I ask as I get closer the the back door of the van to get a better view. "Uh yeah" he says as he reaches for the door handle. Then he pulls the balloons out and wraps them around Finn's neck, Finney uses his rocket pen to slice the grabbers arm making him groan in pain.

"Go!" I hear Finn yell as The Grabber sprays something in Finney's mouth. I try to push the man off him "No! I'm not leaving! Let him go!" I yell trying to loosen his grip on Finn. I fall back as I take a blow to the face.

The Grabber throws Finney into the back of the van. Before lifting me to stand up and pulling me into a chokehold. He sprays the same thing into my mouth as I let out a scream of bloody murder. My vision began to blur as I felt my lungs burn by this intoxicating gas.

I felt extremely lightheaded like I was about to pass out as he threw me into the van before setting the balloons flying through the sky.

I groaned in fear as he slammed the door shut, making everything go dark.

and in this moment I thought...

this is my time.