ᴛᴡᴏ

It was after school when I had my first encounter with Pinball Vance Hopper.

I made a few rules with myself when I first got here.

1. Stay the hell away from Vance Hopper.
2. Don't get yourself into any shit with anyone.
3. Get good grades to keep Mom off my back.

Everything was going perfect so far. I had gotten through the day fine. But my "oh-so perfect day" came crashing down the minute school ended.

The bell rang, and I made my way outside through the back door with Finney and Gwen. "So," Gwen smirked, nudging Finney, "Did you talk to Donna today?"

I noticed his cheeks flush pink when he mentioned the girls name.

"Oh? Do you like someone?" I asked as we walked.

"Gwen! Would you shut up?" he snarled at Gwen, who was now giggling into her hand.

Our laughter stopped abruptly once we heard screaming. The three of us ran to the source, only to find Vance on top of some poor kid, beating the absolute shit out of him.

"You watch what the fuck you say next time, cunt wad!" Vance hollered angrily, grabbing onto the boys shirt and yanking him up. "You understand?"

Blood was dripping down the boys face and onto Vance's hands, but he didn't seem to care. He mumbled out a dizzy response, but obviously that wasn't good enough. Vance kneed him hard in the gut, clenching onto his shirt tighter.

"Do. You. Fucking. Understand." he repeated dangerously, authority dripping off his words.

I couldn't stand this any longer. This is the second time I've witnessed him fucking up someone's day, and I'm not just gonna stand here and watch it happen like I did this morning. He wouldn't hit a girl.

I walked towards the chaos.

"Y/N, what the hell!" Gwen shrieked after me, but I ignored her.

"Hey, dipshit." I interrupted.

Vance froze, immediately letting go of the boys shirt. He slowly turned to face me, his height measuring several inches more than mine. I swallowed hard, hiding the fact that I was scared.

He looked me up and down with a sour look on his face. "And who the fuck are you?"

"None of your damn business," I retorted, walking around him and to the boy who was laying limp on the ground. I crouched down and helped him to his feet. "Go home and get cleaned up, okay?"

He nodded, slightly sobbing.

I turned around, ready to face Vance's wrath, when I bumped face-first into his chest. He grabbed a handful of my shirt, lifting me off the ground with ease. I struggled against his grasp, glaring down at him. "Let me go."

"You're lucky you're a girl. I would've busted open your fucking head by now if you weren't." he sneered. "But I'm not afraid to rough your sorry little ass up."

Fear struck through me. I honestly didn't think he'd do anything. Shit. I looked around desperately to seek out help from Finney and Gwen, but they were nowhere in sight. Nobody was around. Vance could kill me right now and nobody would know.

"Tell me who the fuck you are." he demanded, hurling me onto the ground. I groaned, sitting up and rubbing the back of my head.

"Y/N," I glared.

"Well, Y/N," Vance stalked closer, placing his hands on his knees and bending down to my level. "You just made the biggest fucking mistake. I'm gonna make sure to make your life a living hell."

My breath hitched at his words. He must've noticed how pale I had gotten, because a satisfied smirk plastered across his stupid face.

"See you around."

And with that, Vance left.

Shit. What the hell did I just get myself into.

_____________

The entire walk home all I could think about was what happened. I got myself into this shit. I broke rule number 1 and 2.

Jesus, Y/N, you're such a dumbass.

I arrived home, walking in to find Mom passed out on the couch. I sighed, draping a blanket over her. She must've been drinking or something.

I scrounged around the kitchen, finding a bag of chips and bringing it into my room. Well, I don't know if you'd even call it that. Since we just moved in, my room wasn't much. The walls were bare and the white paint was chipping off, and my bed was nothing but a couple blankets and an old pillow. This sucked.

I flopped down, eating some of the chips. I was dead. Vance was going to fucking kill me. Today was Friday, so at least I had the weekend as my last days go live.

I rolled over on my bed, sighing. Stop being so dramatic, Y/N. He's not going to kill you.

I hope.