➤ Omake: All-You-Can-Eat with Kaibara Sen

Summary: Kaibara invited you to a discounted All-you-can-eat restaurant, briefly mentioned in Chapter 10: Arcades are Pretty Nice...

Set after the events of [Chapter 14: Sincere Apologies]

『••✎••』

You just got home after a week in Shiketsu High, and one thing you learned about that is this simple fact:

Participating in the Journalism exams is not for the faintest of hearts.

Let's say it's quite exhausting, with the whole catboy drama and being accused of involvement in a yakuza case. You doubt you could feel better after having such a unique experience there—an entirely unique one that you can't understand.

But before you could start overthinking it, your friend, Kaibara Sen called you.

He invited you to an all-you-can-eat buffet and hotpot. He said something about celebrating both yours and his achievement of being in UA, but you weren't guaranteed to be in UA just yet—the examinations still have a few weeks before announcing the passers—but Sen insisted that you did well anyway (he was sure of that, for some reason), so you accepted.

Now there you two were, walking side-by-side, talking about all the things that you had experienced.

You were too busy trying to distract yourself from all thoughts you had, that you barely even realized you were the one leading the conversation and the walk instead.

It's not your fault though (you think). Sen has a way of making you ramble, with him looking at you and paying all of his attention to anything that you said, and him actively responding back with a drawl or a snort of his. Even if you were just randomly pointing at a billboard by the city streets, Sen would say some witty line with that impassive stare, and you'd be laughing non-stop at the absurdity of it.

"Uh..." you began, unsure, "Let's think positively for once: at least we got back on the right track?"

"Yeah, after thirty whole minutes of walking around Hosu for no reason," Sen retorted, making you smile sheepishly.

"Maybe the reason is because walking around makes us healthy. Aren't you supposed to be the main advertiser for a healthy body?"

"Right, because wandering aimlessly through the city is exactly what I had in mind for today."

You stopped walking. Staring at him wide-eyed in disbelief, you reeled back at his tone and stammered, "What... what did you do when I was gone?"

Sen glanced at your ajar mouth, knitting his brow in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"This Sen right now—" you stared at him up and down, missing the way he swallowed thickly at your action, "— is acting like he doesn't enjoy any sort of exercises, as if he's not the most belligerent and hyperactive boy in the entire world."

You would have missed it if you weren't looking at him, but Sen's eyes twitched. "You act as if I'm always like that," he bristled.

"Aren't you?"

He frowned. "No? I know how to appreciate my rest days when I need to."

"Rest days? You?" A snort came out of your lips. He rolled his eyes, bumping your shoulder so you can keep walking again. "With how much you scold me about sleeping during your training session, I thought those two words never existed once in your vocabulary."