♡ 1k Votes: Kaibara Sen's POV

This book is a compilation of extra chapters from my main fic: Regress. That means there will be spoilers here, so do check it out if you haven't!

Summary: He saw glimpses of you before, but he never paid any attention to you. Until that one morning ceremony when he heard your voice. (Set pre-regression and post-regression)

╒═══════════════════╕

[Chapter 3]

❝ The opposites can find comfort within each other.❞

╘═══════════════════╛

He was at the infirmary the first time he became curious about you.

When the ceremonial event played in the background and he tended the bruises and cuts on his skin after a long spar, that's when he heard you cry.

It made him freeze on the bed, hands hovering his wounds, neck slowly turning to the other side. The curtains separated you and him, so you didn't know he was there. If you did, he knew you would stop crying immediately.

He saw only glimpses of you in the halls. You, who stood behind Momoto laughing and sitting by the cafeteria benches. You, who always held your arm, always rubbed your neck, always shrunk and curled in yourself.

You looked as if everyone was against you.

He can see it in your silence— one that you never tried to break. Like being quiet was how you lived for years. Like you feared that if you broke it, you would lose everything from your grasp. It made him think how much have been deprived of you. It made him think of the things he missed when he was busy caring for himself only. It made him feel ill.

So he buried it all inside. He let himself turn away, because if he didn't see you, then he wouldn't feel that way.

But here you were, the sound of your choked sobs echoing in the infirmary, and here you were, talking to the senior who brought you in here.

"Hey, ghost freak. It's Hachi-tan's speech today. Where's the script you said you'd give yesterday?" It's bad to eavesdrop, but they're talking loudly anyway. He's not at fault here for overhearing their conversation, right?

".. It's somewhere.. somewhere here." You didn't even sound like you finished wiping off your tears.

"Find it quick." Still, that person sighed in annoyance as if he heard nor saw nothing. "I can't believe you're giving me so much trouble. First, you fainted in the middle of the ceremony, then you made me haul your weight in this room, and now you're making me run back and forth because you can't follow through with what we told you to do. Are you dumb or what?"

It took everything in him to keep quiet. He hated that mocking tone, especially when it was directed at another person. If it were him who received that, he would have socked that guy in the face already.

"Stop it," he heard you blurt out. "I'm not... I didn't mean to do it late. I'm sorry."

"Didn't mean to do it late? If you have time to speak excuses, you have time to take the script out and give it. Now where is it? The speech is going to happen a few minutes from now, so hurry up!"

That was the last straw. He willed himself to stand, to let his presence known, and berate the rude guy with whatever words that can come out of his mouth.